Man's best friend?

Hi there

I've never had any kind of pet- so I really have no clue about this. But how much time would you say a new puppy takes out of your day?

New guy recently got a puppy- and I haven't seen him since. I understood the first week was basically just not getting in any sleep. And then all the cute puppy pics started. Recently this week his messages have been really short- only about his puppy and no calls at all. It seems more responsibility than a baby!

He's very proactive at taking it to puppy training classes etc. Has said he will bring the puppy round to see me- but hasn't said when yet. Do you puppy proof ready for a visit? And how do I do that?

Thanks

A new puppy does take a lot of time but he should still have time to date.

You puppy proof by putting away any ground level food, stuffed animals, throw pillows & poisonous plants. If you really want to be an awesome hostess, you put out a bowl of water for your 4 legged guest. All of my friends know that their pets are welcome in my home so we often have treats on hand even though our dog died almost 5 years ago

• Like 2

Be prepared to come second in this relationship for a while because puppies take a lot of work and can't be left on their own for very long.Why don't you call over to his place to see him and the pup,bring some chew toys with you.If you bond with the pup straight away you should soon be back to normal in your relationship.

• Like 2

Oh, you are so lucky to have a boyfriend with a puppy! I've never had one of those before. It's the best of both worlds. He gets to learn how to clean up and watch the puppy to keep it out of trouble (good practice for having kiddies), and you get to come over and spoil it and get laid at the same time if you can stand the whining. Don't wear your best shoes!

• Author

Thanks- I just genuinely have no clue about animals. I've never been around dogs at all before.

Unfortunately I can't visit him currently as I don't have security clearance yet- he lives on a military base most of the time- unless he goes to his house at weekends. I might suggest going there at the weekend though.

He said that he has to take out the puppy every 3 hours and I don't think he's left him alone yet- so puppy would probably have to come with when he visits me.

• Like 1
Be prepared to come second in this relationship for a while because puppies take a lot of work…

I can’t attest to that. Dated someone who spent a month looking for a St. Bernard puppy, found one spent a boatload of money (she frankly did not have) spent hours training, regular walks and personal training after spending forever watching that dog whisperer show and You Tube videos.

Then took the dog to a training school, paid more money. Would get mad at me because when I was around dog wanted to hang with me and listened to me and not her, she got pissed.

Also when I would come over the dog would get excited and pee on the damn floor (wood floor) but she got mad at me. Made it where she did not want me to come over at certain times.

Lots of dog walking and dog park dates...

Dog messed up her furniture, did not realize a dog that big would eat so much….

Yup bad memories.

I like dogs but trying to incorporate one in a relationships especially a new one is an issue, more so than a baby or small child if you ask me…

Do I sound bitter? LOL! :mad:

Wow, my sisters both got dogs and they practically took over their lives. I think it depends on the parents (er, owners). But yes, as puppies they have to be watched like babies because they eat things they shouldn't, chew things and make a mess everywhere. Unless you really love dogs it is hopeless dating a new pet owner.

Having a new puppy is like having a 2 year old living with you. You have to proof your house, train them, take them out every couple of hours, socialize them, potty train them, I am exhausted just thinking about it again.

Then the dog grows up and can stay alone during the day but the dog will always be a big part of his life. The dog will be like a kid he needs to go back home to or bring along to where he goes........all the time.

My dog will turn 10 years old soon. He monopolizes most of my time still. My daughter likes to remind me that having a dog is like having a toddler that never grows up.

• Like 2

For animal people, pets are just a lifestyle. They are time consuming especially puppies. My youngest dog was a handful and we put him in doggie daycare all day and then took him out to pee every hour to train him (he will pee on command now). But he has destroyed more stuff than I like to think and went into police dog training. Keep saying year 5 with him (just like kids). :p

Why not offer to meet up for a hike with the dog or a dog park? He is going to be taking it out to exercise so join in.

I would say if he is going no communication the dog may be a beard to him just not feeling the relationship and distancing himself.

thefooloftheyear

I love dogs and have had them for all my life...They are the best!!

That being said, some puppies are a pain in the ass...My Pit Bull was particularly bad...Dog was like a beaver...he'd tear up virtually anything..Wood/metal, didn't matter...He was very easy to house train though and settled down after he was about 18 mos old..

This little ShihTzu we have now has been great...She was never a problem..I look kind of ridiculous doting over her(big guy/tiny dog) but who cares? She's awesome..

Bottom line is that they are a handful and require a lot of patience...Take him out for a walk around your place before you bring him in or he'll probably pee/crap, they get spooked in strange places..Put small stuff away, or anything that you don't want to get damaged..

Good luck

TFY

• Like 1
I love dogs and have had them for all my life...They are the best!!

That being said, some puppies are a pain in the ass...My Pit Bull was particularly bad...Dog was like a beaver...he'd tear up virtually anything..Wood/metal, didn't matter...He was very easy to house train though and settled down after he was about 18 mos old..

This little ShihTzu we have now has been great...She was never a problem..I look kind of ridiculous doting over her(big guy/tiny dog) but who cares? She's awesome..

Bottom line is that they are a handful and require a lot of patience...Take him out for a walk around your place before you bring him in or he'll probably pee/crap, they get spooked in strange places..Put small stuff away, or anything that you don't want to get damaged..

Good luck

TFY

My problem child is the rottie/shepard cross. He is a handful.

My pitt cross female is AMAZING! Just wants to ride in the car and sleep in the sun.

• Like 1