How do I start relation with someone as a friend?

Hi there!

I'm a new member on this forum, and I created this account mainly because of the fact that I find myself in a very hard situation right now.

I moved from my parents house a couple of weeks ago to a bigger city given that I will start studying next week. I have never been a person with a lot of close friends, and quite frankly I have liked it so. Usually when I have gotten new friend, it just has happened as a coincidence rather than a "planned" thing... Since I've moved to this town, I have been depressed because of the fact that I basically don't know anyone to just have a conversation with from time to time. Sure, time will come and I will get friends as soon as school/studies start.

But since I have moved to this city, I have seen a cute girl in the bus that probably is around my age. Now, I wouldn't necessarily say that I would like to be in a relationship with her. But it would be nice to just take a walk with her from time to time and just talk about things in life. Especially now, when I basically feel that I'm a ticking bomb with ideas and things to talk about, but in the same time have nobody to share these things with.

.. A couple of days ago I went on Facebook to see how a couple of old friends did from my hometown, and there I found an advertisement (you know the small ones that sometimes pops up on left). I clicked on it and was redirected to this small business that sold cushions. Then later, after scrolling down, I found out that this small business is being run by this girl that I see on the bus and a friend of hers.

Now I basically don't know how to approach this girl.. Don't get me wrong. I have had relations with girls before, but those relations have always been more intimate. It may sound that I need an intimate relation with this girl, but honestly I just want a friend to talk with from time to time. I'm thinking that I may call this small business and meet her somewhere to buy a cushion or two (I don't think they have a store). After doing this, she may know who I am which can lead to possible conversations on the bus or maybe I can give the business a call and if she answers, I can ask for a walk or something. Is there any advice you guys (who probably know more than me) can give me?

I just want to say that I'm really sorry if my english isn't at it's best. But just by posting this thread, I feel much better.

Hi there!

I'm a new member on this forum, and I created this account mainly because of the fact that I find myself in a very hard situation right now.

I moved from my parents house a couple of weeks ago to a bigger city given that I will start studying next week. I have never been a person with a lot of close friends, and quite frankly I have liked it so. Usually when I have gotten new friend, it just has happened as a coincidence rather than a "planned" thing... Since I've moved to this town, I have been depressed because of the fact that I basically don't know anyone to just have a conversation with from time to time. Sure, time will come and I will get friends as soon as school/studies start.

But since I have moved to this city, I have seen a cute girl in the bus that probably is around my age. Now, I wouldn't necessarily say that I would like to be in a relationship with her. But it would be nice to just take a walk with her from time to time and just talk about things in life. Especially now, when I basically feel that I'm a ticking bomb with ideas and things to talk about, but in the same time have nobody to share these things with.

.. A couple of days ago I went on Facebook to see how a couple of old friends did from my hometown, and there I found an advertisement (you know the small ones that sometimes pops up on left). I clicked on it and was redirected to this small business that sold cushions. Then later, after scrolling down, I found out that this small business is being run by this girl that I see on the bus and a friend of hers.

Now I basically don't know how to approach this girl.. Don't get me wrong. I have had relations with girls before, but those relations have always been more intimate. It may sound that I need an intimate relation with this girl, but honestly I just want a friend to talk with from time to time. I'm thinking that I may call this small business and meet her somewhere to buy a cushion or two (I don't think they have a store). After doing this, she may know who I am which can lead to possible conversations on the bus or maybe I can give the business a call and if she answers, I can ask for a walk or something. Is there any advice you guys (who probably know more than me) can give me?

I just want to say that I'm really sorry if my english isn't at it's best. But just by posting this thread, I feel much better.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea if you ask me. Just don't rush it or try to 'take a walk' with her too early. It might come off as needy or desperate.

Find an opportunity to ask her about something in the city. Say, excuse me, I'm new to town. Could you tell me how to get to (some location) or ask which museum is best or something like that. Or what there is to do in the neighborhood. Or where to partake in your favorite activities or whatever. Just talk to her.

• Like 1
Find an opportunity to ask her about something in the city. Say, excuse me, I'm new to town. Could you tell me how to get to (some location) or ask which museum is best or something like that. Or what there is to do in the neighborhood. Or where to partake in your favorite activities or whatever. Just talk to her.

Yes, like ask her if the bus is usually on time. What does she think about the bus service. Hopefully she'll warm up to you and reciprocate.

Don't call her job, that's a bit forward to early/too soon.

As for meeting people in general - especially being into a new city - try meet-ups, volunteering, hobbies, classes (i.e. salsa classes). That way you can break ice with people in a non-intimidating environment; and, if you don't like it.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, even though I may not have a thousand friends, I still know how to talk to people not being awkward. That's not my issue really, and obviously I am not that stupid to make a call to this cushion place just to ask her out. The idea is just to ask if she can meet up somewhere to get the cushion, in that way she'll at least recognize me if I ever see her in the bus or something. The problem is what I will do if someone else answers the phone and not her, I mean I know her name after all.

When it comes to friends, I am sure that it's just a temporary thing. I'll probably meet people while studying. I wasn't that clear earlier, but what I need is not really "regular friends". I just want someone to talk to about general things in life. I usually do "regular" things with my friends such as studying, eating somewhere or something. My vision is that I will have a deep relation with this girl, not necessarily a relation based on love directly. But just a deep and simple friendship type of relation.