how many chances do u give?

I made a decision to drop people who are cutting.

This is because I have learned that they do not change. The advice, the arrogance, the opinions, the lack of loyalty. All start small. But are red flags.

No more months of fruitless explaining myself or pleading to be understood. I know better now.

Who agrees? or not...

• Like 2

Depends what it's about.

There are things I will be patient with and others I won't give any chances.

Something may bother you in a relationship and that same thing may not be an issue with me.

If the person is warned that a certain behavior is a deal breaker for me and they keep on doing it, no there won't be a 2nd chance.

It's hard to answer your question without more details.

• Like 4

No second chances.

Make it clear what you won't tolerate right from the start, and then stick to it.

Take care.

This is because I have learned that they do not change. The advice, the arrogance, the opinions, the lack of loyalty. All start small. But are red flags.

No more months of fruitless explaining myself or pleading to be understood. I know better now.

Who agrees? or not...

If you mean cutting as in physically injuring themselves, that is a sign of a serious mental and emotional dysfunction. It it not something that can be stopped as a result of being asked to stop . . . it is a dysfunctional coping method.

This is not like asking them to pick up their dirty socks, this is not something that can be changed or stopped without serious, professional intervention!!!!

And, yes, you should not date people who cut themselves.

• Like 3
no, I mean verbally cutting, being unpleasant

I do not tolerate any harsh or demeaning speech towards me, or anyone else.

It is a form of emotional violence, that has no place in any civilised conversation.

Zero tolerance recommended.

Take care.

• Like 3

Yeah put me on the zero tolerance list.

No one gets to say nasty or demeaning things to me.

• Like 1

Yes, when someone verbally abuses you, you don't need that person in your life. Just because you get to know someone doesn't make you obligated to keep knowing them if you then find out they're a jackass.

• Like 3

I'm with Gaeta. I have zero tolerance for some things and near infinite tolerance for other things. Many other things fall in between.

• Racism - Zero tolerance
  • Cheapness - 3-5 Date tolerance
  • Bluntness - Near infinite tolerance

Verbal unpleasantness doesn't really phase me, but it would bother me if I observed her directing it to people who are sensitive to it. I don't know what my tolerance level would be, but I imagine not very high.

• Like 1
no, I mean verbally cutting, being unpleasant

I can't think of any verbally unpleasant people I keep around in my life aside from some business associates that I have to deal with as part of my job.

I'm curious if you could provide more specific examples of what you find to be "verbally cutting" or "unpleasant" because they could mean different things to different people.

It's also unclear if your talking about romantic partners or friends and there are things I might tolerate in a friend hat I would never tolerate from a romantic partner.

When first reading this, I thought you meant with sharp objects. Get it now. Sure, make the choice and own it. Billions of people on the planet and practically none of them care whether you live or die. Might as well set your own standards of association.

While it's possible to change throughout life, basic personality characteristics are formed early and, by 25 or so, are pretty ingrained. Sure, life-altering experiences can upset them and maybe change them. Seen that happen. Facing death is one.

Oh, yeah, why torture yourself. People simply aren't that important. If you want an example, just examine how important you are to them. Heh, eye-opener, eh?

Who agrees? or not...
Agree with dropping? Sure, been doing that for decades. I called it 'disconnecting'. Make like a hole in the water and their existence is irrelevant and gone. Next. Billions more around.
JustGettingBy

1-off bouts of anger when pushed to their emotional limit from someone who's a good person 99% of the time I'll have the patience for.

Someone I don't know. Tolerance is near 0.

Totally agree, apart from the lack of loyalty bit. Insensitivity (often described as being blunt or 'saying it as it is') is a personality trait. People who are blunt and don't care how they make others feel don't change.

Totally agree, apart from the lack of loyalty bit. Insensitivity (often described as being blunt or 'saying it as it is') is a personality trait. People who are blunt and don't care how they make others feel don't change.

I'll take a blunt person over a stab in the back person any day, any time.

Edited by Timshel
  • Like 1