Being friends with exes on facebook instagram...yes or no?

JoeSmith357-1

If you are in a committed relationship with someone else, be aware it may make them (rightfully) uncomfortable. And you should respect their feelings.

• Like 4

Doesn't really bother me. It's me they are going out with now. I don't expect people to give up their history just because of me. This of course provided that both of us have moved on.

Now, if they are constantly chatting/posting messages with one another over and above what they may be doing with other people they are friends with. Then yes, it could be a problem.

I do think you should't keep picture of the two of you together up. There's no need for that. And if your ex is doing that, then, they need to be unfriended.

• Like 1
JustExploring
Being friends with an ex girlfriend or boyfriend, ex flings, ex friends with benefits, on facebook instagram…yes or no?

I don't see anything wrong with being friends with them on Facebook or Insta. I believe good friends are hard to find. That's why I'm a firm believer of being friends with exes.

• Like 2

If both of you have moved on, then I don't see any harm in it. Personally, when I broke up with my ex I thought it was best if I didn't unfriend or block her anywhere, but I unfollowed so I wouldn't have to see stuff about her. 3 months later and I was still feeling stuck, because having her as a friend on FB or following me on Instagram would give me mini heartattacks everyday whenever she liked something or I saw something with her involved. Then I prefered to block, and I feel relieved I did it.

Eventually, whenever I get over her for sure, I'll unblock and add her back. I would like to have her as a friend someday. :)

I don't have any ex's with the exception of a old teenage love from 16 on Facebook and even so, it's because I left him back then and it wasn't a "thing". With that said, depends also on who left who and how your feelings are. I just don't feel a need to reconnect or have ex's in my space considering as I'm in a serious relationship and literally just couldn't care less about other guys, let alone ex's. I feel like even if I was single though, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to have ex's there to worry about or to be reminded of. They all just bring back memories especially the ones who dumped me.

• Like 3
Daisy-oliviaWentcher

I personally I have a rule. When I get married, i think then I will personally delete exes and anyone who I have had an emotional or physical investment. This is out of respect to my husband and I expect him to do the same ( so long as we both agree on it). This is also to protect my marriage.

When you are single or even just dating someone, you can pretty much do what you like when it comes to social media, but marriage to me is a very serious commitment and I just don't see the point.

There is no bad blood between me and my exes ( to be honest I only have one or two) but because it's been so few and far between, they are all the more significant to me even if I am not so much to them.

That is why, when I get married I would like to delete them off of social media to fully invest, mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually to my husband and only keep the friends on there that are really in my life and who really matter to me.

• Like 1
Searching4Love

Just as long as there are no residual feelings then its fine. I've seen this backfire in some relationships though so both parties have to obv be comfortable with it.

• Like 2
Michelle ma Belle

I have Facebook and do have a handful of ex's as friends but I am also someone who is painfully transparent in my relationships so there is no need for anyone I'm with to worry.

I don't do the Twitter/IG/SnapChat thing if only because I've seen first hand how toxic these forms of social media can be to relationships. Very little good comes from such apps in my humble opinion and the younger you are, the worse it is.

Thankfully I do not date men who are social media savy or have any sincere interest in it so it makes all of this a mute point with regards to my life and my relationships.

And I couldn't me more grateful.

• Like 1

No.

I've been preaching this for the longest and last week my favorite podcaster agrees.

Doesn't have to do with jealousy and/or insecurities. It's out of respect.

Unless your ex is a friend of your spouse...and I mean "friend" to the extent that your spouse and your ex go fishing, hunting, shopping, kiddie play dates together....than it's ok.

When I used to Fakebook stalk my neighbor, I finally figured out that he just liked attention - to the point of insulting his wife. He had on Fakebook as "friends" his ex and these skanky women who pose in skanky clothes and you could tell his wife wasn't cool with it. Cuz ex would like comment on something about their kid and he'd like it, while wife skipped over to "like" other comments from anyone but his ex. Total kerk who disrespects his wife. But he's never gonna unfriend his harem of skanks - to include his ex, cuz he has to hold on miserable hope that others beside Java the Wife find him attractive or interesting or something :rolleyes:.

Edited by Gloria25
  • Like 1
Daisy-oliviaWentcher

It's just out of respect. I kinda would want him to do the same. it's nice. Clean breaks are fully clean. I like it.

• Like 1
Romantic Gentleman

I'm friends with all my exes on social media. All of my breakups have been on mutual terms, so we've never had any bad blood towards each other online.

• Like 2
  • Author

My problem is this: my girlfriend has ex flings ex hookups and past sexual partners as friends on facebook! What should I do? There is just one guy that I know who he is, but I'm sure there is other guys as well! I think I'm dating someone who was formerly pretty promiscuous! She had sex with these guys years ago and she doesn't want to unfriend them because she said it doesnt mean anything, she said she is with me and she loves me, and it's just social networks! I don't like this and she knows we always fight about this and I'm thinking about breaking up! Am I right? What I should do?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
language~T
Michelle ma Belle
My problem is this: my girlfriend has ex flings ex hookups and past sexual partners as friends on facebook! What should I do? There is just one guy that I know who he is, but I'm sure there is other guys as well! I think I'm dating someone who was formerly pretty promiscuous! She had sex with these guys years ago and she doesn't want to unfriend them because she said it doesnt mean anything, she said she is with me and she loves me, and it's just social networks! I don't like this and she knows we always fight about this and I'm thinking about breaking up! Am I right? What I should do?

Okay, you guys sound young, very early twenties I'm guessing. So very typical since your generation is all about accumulating likes and friends and creating this facade of phony that is quite troubling in my humble opinion.

I guess I don't understand people who keep ex flings/ONS/hook ups on their social media stuff. It's one thing to keep ex partners with whom you had a relationship and ended on good terms and another to keep a roster of NSA hookups. One seems normal enough while the other just wreaks of potential trouble.

At the same time you need to chill the f*ck in terms of calling her names because of her sexual past. Her past is her PAST for heaven's sake. And unless she's given you reason to doubt her commitment to you, stop making mountains out of molehills. I mean, were you a virgin when you met her? I doubt it. It's ridiculous the double standards that exist regarding someone's sexual past. You should be ashamed of yourself.

My advice? It's clear you can't handle it and she has no intentions of easing your mind by removing these men.

Deadlock = Dead End.

Good luck.

language~T
  • Like 2
  • Author
Okay, you guys sound young, very early twenties I'm guessing. So very typical since your generation is all about accumulating likes and friends and creating this facade of phony that is quite troubling in my humble opinion.

I guess I don't understand people who keep ex flings/ONS/hook ups on their social media stuff. It's one thing to keep ex partners with whom you had a relationship and ended on good terms and another to keep a roster of NSA hookups. One seems normal enough while the other just wreaks of potential trouble.

At the same time you need to chill the f*ck in terms of calling her names because of her sexual past. Her past is her PAST for heaven's sake. And unless she's given you reason to doubt her commitment to you, stop making mountains out of molehills. I mean, were you a virgin when you met her? I doubt it. It's ridiculous the double standards that exist regarding someone's sexual past. You should be ashamed of yourself.

My advice? It's clear you can't handle it and she has no intentions of easing your mind by removing these men.

Deadlock = Dead End.

Good luck.

I don't have past hookups ex girlfriends on facebook...So should I accept her behavior? Should I accept that she has these guys as facebook friends? That's not fair!

language in quote~T
I don't have past hookups ex girlfriends on facebook...So should I accept her behavior? Should I accept that she has these guys as facebook friends? That's not fair!

And when did life get fair?

Yes, you should end it. Not because of what she's doing or has done, but because your beliefs in how to manage a relationship are not compatible.

And enough with the slut shaming. Your comments reflect more poorly on you than they do on her.

I have one former ex as a friend on FaceBook. She and I dated when we were both in high school for about a year. I'm in my forties now so I think that passes the statute of limitations and she is now married with children. Any other ex was unfriended immediately, mostly for my own sanity.

Michelle ma Belle

I clearly said that you both seem to be in a deadlock which doesn't bode well for your relationship. You don't have to accept anything you don't want don't start casting stones unless you're sure you're absolutely perfect.

And what 'behavior' are you speaking of? Has she given you reason to doubt her commitment to you? Is she behaving differently, shady, shifty? Of are you just referring to her not giving in to your demands?

Again, I'm not necessarily agreeing with how she's choosing to deal with this but your insecurity and whiny attitude over the whole thing is just as as worrisome. And no, life is not fair. Get used to it. :rolleyes:

I don't think either of you are mature enough to be in this relationship. At least that's my dime store assessment of your relationship.

Been around a while and this story is as old as they come and rarely ever ends well.

Good luck.

Insecurities and jealousy have no place in a relationship. The fact that she isn't willing to do anything, and doesn't care about your feelings is a great reason to dump her.

• Like 2
So... Should I forget about this facebook instagram stuff move on and let her has these guys as facebook friends?

You have two choices: Either continue dating her and accept that she has exes on social media. Or you can decide that you will not accept it and break up.

It's your call, not ours.

JustExploring
So... Should I forget about this facebook instagram stuff move on and let her has these guys as facebook friends?

It's all about how she makes you feel. If her relationships with exes are making you uncomfortable, then you should say something about it. Her reaction will let you know how serious she is with you. For me, her introducing you to any exes she communicates on a daily basis is key. If she can do that, you have nothing to worry about. At the end of the day, she comes back to you at night. You shouldn't be jealous and if you are, then you prolly don't deserve her anyway. Her exes are exes for a reason.

Just my two cents...