First thing he asks is if I have a boyfriend?

I have a friend I've had forever. Hung out last night for the first time in a long time (although we've texted in between), and the first question he asked me the second he got me alone (the other people we were with went to a food truck really quick) threw me off. I was looking down at my phone, trying to send a pic I'd taken, and he walks up behind me and says, "Oh texting your boyfriend." Me: "No." Him: "You gotta be texting your boyfriend." "Actually no, my mom." He continued on, serious now: "So...do you...have a boyfriend?" I answered him honestly that no, I don't, and I was seeing someone a while ago and ended it. If I was especially clever on my feet last night, I woulda told him "oh no, i have a girlfriend!" or something cheeky to really throw him for a loop.

I've had a (different) friend act like I'm taking calls from men once, but it was a fleeting joking comment and he didn't press to see if I had a boyfriend after. But none of my other [male] friends would press me to see if I had a boyfriend.

It just surprised me because we text often enough he could ask. Why would a guy press his friend to ask?

He could be interested in you or he could just be nosy. Can't think of any other reason off hand.

Adding: if someone asked a question and you don't know the motive, it's ok to say "why do you ask?"

>."Why would a guy press his friend to ask.<<

--

What do you mean? On whose behalf do you think he was asking you? What friend?

Maybe he was asking for himself, because he is intetested in dating you?

That's what it sounds like to me....

Yeah, the "No I have a *girlfriend* would have been a great response"!! LOL

Sounds like something I would say..... I'm a ball buster though.... :)

• Author
>."Why would a guy press his friend to ask.<<

--

What do you mean? On whose behalf do you think he was asking you? What friend?

I mean I AM the friend. Sorry, I didn't phrase that well. He was asking on his own behalf.

Which would be a typical question if he was a 75 year old woman at a family reunion asking me. Not a mid twenties male