Possibly Losing a Pet

So, I kind of need to get this out of my system and this seemed like the easiest way.

Our family lost a younger cat early this year. And, we had another one that I got when I was 8 years old (I am 29 now) and she is 21.

The last week or so her health has been declining and I've been deciding if at some point she needs to be put down.

It's a tough decision for sure.

For those that lost a pet or if you had a choice would you do a burial (say in the back yard) or cremate your pet?

I guess It's been on my mind because there is a strong possibility she may not make the week or so, or I may have to jump in if she's in pain.

I know I kind of wanted a burial, but it got me thinking she'd be in dirt, the bug would be eating her, I'd have to see her grave plate everytime I go out in the yard.

On the other hand, I can't imagine cremation because I know she's essentially getting burned to a crisp. Plus, there is never any guarantee the ashes are your pets. And, I'd just have her ashes with me.

I guess I've been stressed out, lack of sleep this week and just feel frustrated.

I buried my rottweiller in my back yard but sold my house and moved years later. My wolfhound was cremated and I intend to have his ashes mixed w/ my remains someday.

I see your point about not being certain the ashes are really theirs but I think it's more symbolic and you simply have to believe it was done correctly.

If you're concerned then check out the vet clinic beforehand, I think reputable ones would be happy to go over the process to help put your mind at ease.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear about your pet.

When you get a pet cremated, it can be done individually or with other pets. If you find a reputable company, there should not be a problem with truly getting the ashes of your pet delivered to you.

Also, they do have pet caskets.

For me, I would cremate my pet to have her with me.

Edited by bachdude
  • Like 1
  • Author

So I put her down this afternoon.

Decided to have her privately cremated.

They will also take her paw print before on a clay/rock looking object.

That way I always have something else of her too.

I think getting through the next few days will be tough.....

We had the paw print, too, with one of our cats. I still have it.

I'm so sorry.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry. It's always very hard, and really never gets any easier. I've had to lay to rest many pets, both cats and dogs, and I loved all of them.

For me, to remember them, I've always had them cremated, pay printed, and purchased a decorative urn for them. Some may think it macabre, but I have a small collection of all my pets on a shelf. It's nice to think, that even the one that didn't get along so well while alive, now rest comfortably next to one another at the Rainbow Bridge.

If you don't know the Rainbow Bridge story, you should look it up.

I am so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you.