are female cat owners more likely to have emotional issues?

in my social circles I have noticed females with cats tend to have more emotional issues

The females i know are otherwise very normal, attractive, nice, friendly, have careers, smart, etc. etc.

but i have noticed that females i know who are cat owners tend to have more emotional issues and have more issues in their relationships or just cannot maintain a relationship. Then the girls i know who are dog owners

Not saying that women without cats are not as likely to have issues ( this is just something i keep noticing with cat owners)

I also know of 2 girls, one has a pet snake, one has a pet tarantula, both super hot girls....( personally speaking if a girl has these super exotic kind of pets, it is a definite no. )

(FYI)

I think cats are super cute, and wonderful to have as pets, I am just curious is this a phenomena i just happen to see or is it a real thing. Also I am not saying all females who have cats have issues

FYI 2

I have only seen this with females, I personally have not seen anything with males. but maybe others have. Just speaking from personal experiences.

Anyone else have dating experience with cat ladies? insight into this subject?

WaitingForBardot

Only if they have more than 5 cats! That's the cutoff for crazy cat ladies... ..lol..

I've never noticed any correlation, but I'm a cat person so I've never really given it much thought. Also to mention I've never had more than 5 myself... ..lol..

GorillaTheater

Based on personal experience, I'd be more wary of women who own horses than women who own cats. If nothing else, I may or may not be expected to clean litter boxes, but I know who's going to wind up shoveling the horse poop. And I really know where I'm going to wind up on the list of priorities vis-à-vis the horse.

• Like 10

I actually like cats and dogs and I've never associated emotional issues with women owning cats.

I have noticed this with people who obsess over pets and treat them like they're people, this could be cats or small dogs. I never see this with people that own medium to large dogs.

My guess, this may have to do with the fact that the animal is small enough to be carried like a child so there is some level of transference.

• Like 1

I can only speak for myself here as I know lots and lots of females who have cats. They are all different people and don´t strike me as having more emotional issues than those who don´t have a cat (or three)

I have a lovely little boy (cat) and I love his company. Something very calming about having him around. My job can be super stressful and I find that having him curl up to me after a long hard day is very therapeutic!

Cats are very independent. If they want to be left alone they will tell you in their own little way. That´s what I like about them. It´s on their terms! If you are needy and want an animal at your beck and call cats would probably not be the best choice as they are their own boss.

I would say that any person, male or female that has their house filled with cats and litter definitely have emotional problems but one or two... nah!

Yes, there's a "crazy cat lady" stereotype for a reason. Then again, nobody's purrfect.

You know...with that type of catitude...

• Like 4
Based on personal experience, I'd be more wary of women who own horses than women who own cats. If nothing else, I may or may not be expected to clean litter boxes, but I know who's going to wind up shoveling the horse poop. And I really know where I'm going to wind up on the list of priorities vis-à-vis the horse.

Hahahaha I have a horse.... And this can be fairly true of "horse women" and I will say bunch of them are also bat **** crazy....

I make it a point to never burden my BF with "horse chores" (well, and for the most part I pay someone else to do them).

I always feel bad for the bored stiff looking boy friends that are getting drug around the stables. Seriously girls, leave the guys at home, or let them go watch football, or play golf or something, don't make them go to the stables with you.

The horse, and its costly $$$$ care does fall high on my priority list though ;)

As for crazy, and cat ladies... I think there are a bunch of "animal people" who are fairly wacky. And choose the company of cats, or dogs, or horses etc over people because they lack social skills.

• Like 2
todreaminblue

my great nanna owned a monkey before it ripped her scalp off......the monkey got donated to the zoo..she didnt own any cats..i think after having a monkey rip her scalp off ..she got turned off monkeys....she got a dog and rescued wildlife instead...like ferrets....she had quite a few ferrets over the years..turtles.and magpies...an abandoned lamb....and as you can see...this opening sentence really has nothing to do with the opening post.....i just wanted to share that..

i dont think owning cats has anything to do with emotional problems...i think women who own men ie marriage or serious long term commitment are up for more emotional problems than a bag full of cats in wet weather...but we do it anyway huh...because men are just so fluffy........sorry I meant loveable...i am a four cat owner....and a five dog owner and a previous turtle owner....they escaped houdini style in a rainy patch though....i have a catfish...it talks to me.....the cats...they just meow..do i talk too much...thankfully for humans i have animals to talk too...deb

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: THIS!!! As a "horse chick" Gorilla speaks the true. :laugh::laugh::laugh: You will probably never rate as high as the horse and you will be mucking stalls and at all day shows before too long. :laugh: But you will always know where she is, you know she isn't out with guys since they are in the minority in the horse world, and you will see her doing something that she is passionate about (which I think is a pretty cool thing).

• Like 1
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: THIS!!! As a "horse chick" Gorilla speaks the true. :laugh::laugh::laugh: You will probably never rate as high as the horse and you will be mucking stalls and at all day shows before too long. :laugh: But you will always know where she is, you know she isn't out with guys since they are in the minority in the horse world

Oh I don't know that it's the path to innocence! I know more than one woman who ran off with the farrier, and such a time consuming hobby means a lot of time one doesn't have to account for.....

As a rider, I am still cosigning with gorilla and saying watch out for the horse chicks.

I'm crazy. I admit it.

However, I have had two women friends who seemed to have displaced emotions over horses. Being obsessed with them(each to their own) and using them almost as an emotional barrier. Some false way of proving independence... Who knows, need to control a large animal? They claim to 'love' their horse but I sense they like the control.

Most horse people are fine. However, If I was a guy searching on Old, I'd be leery of anyone who has more than one photo or mention of a pet.

A healthy person wants a partner who likes cats, dogs, horses or whatever. That isn't the same as needing a partner to listen to me obsess over a cat, dog, horse, etc.

Edited by Myragal

Bahaha. Of all the trivial things to worry about! Do guys really judge women for owning cats? I'm assuming this thread was started by a guy as I've only heard this cat lady nonsense from men. Yes, crazy cat ladies do exist but usually we're talking women over the age of 50 who live alone and own MANY cats (like 5+). The younger women I've met who own cats rarely have more than two or three, if that, and they're no more or less weird than non cat owners. If you can make any generalization about them it's maybe that they're a bit introverted on average (dog owners in general tend to be more extroverted and outdoorsy for obvious reasons). Some men will look for any reason to accuse a woman of instability/craziness.

• Like 2
Anyone else have dating experience with cat ladies? insight into this subject?

I have noticed that I don't tend to like women who don't like animals.

• Like 2
Oh I don't know that it's the path to innocence! I know more than one woman who ran off with the farrier, and such a time consuming hobby means a lot of time one doesn't have to account for.....

As a rider, I am still cosigning with gorilla and saying watch out for the horse chicks.

Agreed. I've been out of the horse world for a long time now, but I haven't forgotten. I don't think it's a scenario many men would be happy with unless

a) they were equally involved with horses, or

b) they didn't mind feeling like groupies at gymkhanas

I can remember groups of boys wandering round gymkhanas eyeing up girls, and honestly they were a bit like groupies, even if from their perspective they were Jack the Lads summing up whatever female talent was on display. From a horse girl's point of view, it was "just you sit on the sidelines and watch, mate. Me and my horse are the main event here, not you."

So yes...a woman with a clowder of cats might be a bit fussy, high maintenance or whatever else...but the average guy would probably find that preferable to a sturdily healthy, hair-netted sergeant major yelling at him to steer clear for his own safety while she picks out the hind hooves of her precious thoroughbred.

• Like 1

I want a horse, it sounds so cool. I don't care if people think I'm crazy. I have a little dog who I do treat like a child. But in a healthy way. She gets plenty of walks, love and training. I had a cat. She passed on. :(

Animals are sweet.