If a guy thinks a woman is younger than she really is, is that flirting?

You mean is it some form of flattery or compliment? Not necessarily. Maybe he literally thought you/her were 10 years younger than you are.

Flirting is flirting, no matter what age you are or what age the other person thinks you are.

OTOH, some people mistake others just being nice as flirting. lots of old guys are famous for this. They think everytime a younger woman is talking to them and nice, that she must be flirting with them.

... maybe forgetting that lots of women flirt to get stuff from men they aren't interested in romantically. Men do the same. Don't take it seriously. I never do ;) But it is fun!

It could be or it could be that people are just bad at guessing ages.

Yep, can confirm this, 40 years old and in the last few weeks alone, people have said i was 24, 30, 35 and my actual age. Both men and women telling me this.

None said i was older thankfully :D

I don't really get this 'unspoken law' to tread carefully when a woman's age is concerned. Would be neither flattering nor insulting to me, and I've had extreme-guesses in both directions.

Clarence_Boddicker

A lot of guys are clueless & it can sometimes be hard to tell someone's age.

loveflower

It has nothing to do with flirting by itself.

many members of the same sex assume I am 10 years younger....I wouldn't think they are flirting with me.

still_an_Angel

Not necessarily, guys can be totally clueless with regards to women's ages.

But if he's cute well, carry on flirting then!

We need to hear more about in what context this age thing came up...cuz like I posted here recently, the other day at the grocery store, the cashier - a younger guy said some things that would have been perceived as "flirting", but then again, it is part of his job to chat up the customers...So, I was flattered, but took his chat with a grain of salt. :)