Excluded from Discount

chelle21689

My boyfriend's sister invited me, my boyfriend, her boyfriend, and their other sister. She has been working at this restaurant on the weekend for several years and gets discounts. When we were done eating the waitress she knew came by and talked to his sister and it looked like they were discussing the pay. She told them who got discounts and I guess she assumed my bf was paying she told the waitress he got a discount.

Come time when we got our bills I was the only one that didn't get a discount. She looked at it and said if I had been on my boyfriend's (her brother's) bill then I would've gotten the discount. What difference does it make when we are TOGETHER (I was treating him)? So I paid full price and everyone else got a discount. I don't care if I get one but if everyone else gets one I just think it's a bit rude. She could've said something to the waitress but didn't.

Later I told my boyfriend he should've told his sister but he said he didn't know what to do at the time.

So 1. Would you have said something? 2. Is this rude?

autumnnight

I would have enjoyed the evening, not said anything, and not gotten upset. Who cares? Everyone but her boyfriend was RELATED to her, and well, HE is her boyfriend.

This is not an issue unless you make it one.

• Like 1
toolforgrowth
My boyfriend's sister invited me, my boyfriend, her boyfriend, and their other sister. She has been working at this restaurant on the weekend for several years and gets discounts. When we were done eating the waitress she knew came by and talked to his sister and it looked like they were discussing the pay. She told them who got discounts and I guess she assumed my bf was paying she told the waitress he got a discount.

Come time when we got our bills I was the only one that didn't get a discount. She looked at it and said if I had been on my boyfriend's (her brother's) bill then I would've gotten the discount. What difference does it make when we are TOGETHER (I was treating him)? So I paid full price and everyone else got a discount. I don't care if I get one but if everyone else gets one I just think it's a bit rude. She could've said something to the waitress but didn't.

Later I told my boyfriend he should've told his sister but he said he didn't know what to do at the time.

So 1. Would you have said something? 2. Is this rude?

If I were him, I would have said something to my sister, but in private and away from everybody else. There's no sense in creating a scene, and the sister may have a legitimate reason for it and may even feel bad about it.

Whether or not it was rude would be dependent upon the reasoning I'd get from my sister after speaking to her about it.

But I'd be certainly asking these same questions if I were in your shoes.

girl-in-boots

Maybe the restaurant has a policy of only family discount which would be a reasonable policy. You obviously all decided to get separate bills and presumably her boyfriends food was on her bill.

Just one of those things and probably NOT meant to offend or upset you just the work policy. I know plenty of places where discount is family only so it wouldn't be unusual.

Just let it go. If you eat there again make sure that your boyfriend and your food is on one bill even if you give him the money to pay.

• Like 2

Sooooooo......I'm confused, if you were paying for your boyfriend....why did you have a separate bill?

• Like 1
deathandtaxes

It's not cool. It's such an unfairness that even little kids and primates would understand and be rightfully miffed. So be miffed for a few minutes. Then let it go. If this becomes a recurring thing, bring it up with the sister that works at the restaurant. Be polite. Be nice. And if she won't (not can't, but won't) give you a discount, just don't go to that restaurant with them.

autumnnight
It's not cool. It's such an unfairness that even little kids and primates would understand and be rightfully miffed. So be miffed for a few minutes. Then let it go. If this becomes a recurring thing, bring it up with the sister that works at the restaurant. Be polite. Be nice. And if she won't (not can't, but won't) give you a discount, just don't go to that restaurant with them.

I dunno. If a few dollars extra is this huge, I shudder to think what a real tragedy would be like.

Perspective and maturity are needed here.

• Like 2