My partners child from previous relationship....

AussieGirl277

Hi everyone, I am new to this, this is my first time here.

I need some advice.........I am currently in a relationship (and living) with a guy who has a child from a previous relationship, I'm 26 and he is 25, his child is 4. The child does not live with us. The ex has been nasty and won't let him see the child, so he has gone to a solicitor and gained access rights.

The thing I guess I am worried about is when the child visits him, I mean I'm not use to having children around and I don't have any. I mean, I don't know what to expect. I have never met the child. He is all excited about the child coming but I'm feeling confused about the whole thing. I currently work full time, he isn't working at the moment and it may be a strain financially as well. He wants to have children with me, but I am a bit hesitant at the moment.

I am happy for my partner that he has gained access rights, but at the same time confused. :o

Is there anyone else who has experienced a situation similar to this?

I would be pleased to know how you coped?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not use to having children around and I don't have any. I mean, I don't know what to expect.

They're messy eaters. I would hang back a bit, being friendly but not motherly. The father and child will probably want 1:1 time mostly.

it may be a strain financially as well

Ummm...not on you, I hope. The father needs to support his child out of HIS pocket, not yours.

He wants to have children with me, but I am a bit hesitant at the moment.

Yeah, wait until he has a job and you are married and stabilized. Then you can think about it.