Woman who get hair extensions

No idea where to post this...

One of my good female friends recently got hair extensions. I thought, still do, she is amazingly beautiful and can't understand why she did this. When I asked, she said she is older now and her hair is not growing like it use to, she misses her long hair, and it makes her feel good to "have it back".

She had left them in the bathroom one day and "it" scared the crap out of me.

She also plans to get botox soon.

I am a natural kind of man, I appreciate naturual beauty. I try to understand why woman do things like this, especially ones who are already in a relationship, and I have heard various reasons. I guess though, if it really makes them feel good, go for it.

Any other opinions, comments, experiences?

Ruby Slippers

I do the basics of primping and style - makeup, occasional highlights in my hair, nice clothes for dates and important business meetings - but I'm not interested in going to the extreme and more obviously artificial end - hair extensions, fake nails, fake tans, breast implants, cosmetic surgery, botox. None of my friends are into this stuff, either.

Though I wouldn't go that far, I get why some women do - because the way a woman looks is very to extremely important to men, and they reward you immensely for looking good.

Even if you're in a relationship, it's obvious that your man notices when other men notice you and treats you better because of your looks. Ego and competition are factors here. Men like other men to know their woman is attractive, and more attention and flirtation from other men fires up his competitive instincts and motivates him to treat you better.

In spite of what you say, I've gotten the impression you prefer the more artificial types of women, given how many of your partners have had implants and more extreme forms of cosmetic enhancement. I really don't know anyone who's into that stuff. It's a completely different world from my own.

• Like 6
  • Author
I do the basics of primping and style - makeup, occasional highlights in my hair, nice clothes for dates and important business meetings - but I'm not interested in going to the extreme and more obviously artificial end - hair extensions, fake nails, fake tans, breast implants, cosmetic surgery, botox. None of my friends are into this stuff, either.

Though I wouldn't go that far, I get why some women do - because the way a woman looks is very to extremely important to men, and they reward you immensely for looking good.

Even if you're in a relationship, it's obvious that your man notices when other men notice you and treats you better because of your looks. Ego and competition are factors here. Men like other men to know their woman is attractive, and more attention and flirtation from other men fires up his competitive instincts and motivates him to treat you better.

In spite of what you say, I've gotten the impression you prefer the more artificial types of women, given how many of your partners have had implants and more extreme forms of cosmetic enhancement. I really don't know anyone who's into that stuff. It's a completely different world from my own.

Actually, no, my preference is no implants, no artifcial stuff. Just so happens the last 3 woman I have been with had implants, and, with the excpetion of one, which was one date, I had no idea prior.

I don't like a lot of makeup on a woman, all dolled up, not sure why, that look is a turn off for me. It feels to me like a woman is trying to cover something up when she wears a lot of makeup. And, have you ever kissed someone on the cheek, the neck, etc, who has a lot of make up on? Yuck! I tell my ex gf, she is most beautiful to me without make up on, and it's true. I see "Her".

My FWB, flat chested, rarely wore makeup, and one might call her simple/plain looking, kind of hippy. I found her beautiful.

As I was reading your comment about how much men like the competition, I was thinking just the oppositie. I do notice when men check out my partner, but it's not a competition for me, nor does it motivate me to treat her any better.

The girl who is the subject of this post, my best female friend, wears a lot of make up...takes her 1-2 hours to get ready to go anywhere. I am not even sure i would recognize her without makeup.

Edited by Babolat
regine_phalange

She had left them in the bathroom one day and "it" scared the crap out of me.

Oh my, I just pictured this, and combined with your avatar... I rolled on the floor laughing. Hahaha! :laugh:

I'm a minimalist, not too much makeup and blingblings. No padded bra. No fake lashes or nails. I just can't stand the feeling of something "foreign" on me. If you meet me at night, I will look very similar in the morning.

• Like 1

We do things like that so that we feel beautiful. Not just to men and other women, but some of us try to be the most attractive versions of ourselves. I get eyelash extensions, mani/pedis, and try different colors on my hair all the time... In fact, I have a few blue extensions in my hair right now. I never understood the appeal of a Plain Jane, but to each their own.

• Like 1
No idea where to post this...

One of my good female friends recently got hair extensions. I thought, still do, she is amazingly beautiful and can't understand why she did this. When I asked, she said she is older now and her hair is not growing like it use to, she misses her long hair, and it makes her feel good to "have it back".

How old is she?

I'm 44 and my hair grows 2.5 cm (1 inch)per month.

It only didn't really grow when I used to blow dry and straighten it to an inch of it's life - that was a few years ago now though. I'd never do that to it again.

Is she aware that hair extensions cause damage to existing hair also? Some have been left with bald patches from using hair extensions.

I'm not one for fakery myself....a bit of make up is as far as I would go...and no..I don't know why people do it.

PinkInTheLimo

Hair extensions are out of the question for me since my hair has been thinning a lot with age :-( and I've heard that extensions damage your hair. So I try to treat the hair I have left as careful as possible. Just a good hair cut (cannot wear it long, thanks god shorter hair suits me), a good shampoo and conditionner and that's it. I even avoid blow drying it. I'm lucky that I don't have any gray hair for the moment so I don't have to colour it.

Breast implants or plastic surgery no way. I think that there is something very decadent about letting a surgeon cut in you only for esthetic reasons. The only person who can cut in my body is my dentist and only when it is really necessary (had a tooth implant recently).

I use very little make-up as I don't really like the feeling of "paint" on my skin and almost all eye make-up makes my eyes tear. I have however been hydrating my skin since I am very young and I can tell you that that has resulted in a good skin for a 49-year old :-).

I like to say that I still count on my natural charm, or on what is left of it :-).

I had anorexia and my hair STILL has not grown 100% back yet.

Until my hair is as thick as it once was, I will get a few extensions to make it the way it used to be.

I get them because they give me a MASSIVE confidence boost, and I feel so much happier with them.

I Will also get botox at age 28 or 29. I would feel more confident if the lines on my forehead disappeared.

I also need to have internal peace and happiness, which shows on my outside, as body language and the way I act look and smile.

HokeyReligions

I thought about extensions. Only because for most of my life I've been sitting on my hair and this year cut it off. Its still past my shoulders but seems short and every once in a while I have a twinge of regret. I'm too lazy though and don't want the upkeep. I use makeup to cover scars and because I compete in the workplace. Not a lot just enough to conceal the scars and even skin tone. I also have no eyebrows so I draw those on (otherwise I look constantly surprised :bunny:)

Not everyone is blessed with even skin tone and smooth complexion. I was married 2 - 3 years before hubby saw me totally without makeup in the daylight. He asked if I was OK! Lol

I tried false eyelashes once. I'm not coordinated enough for those and nearly hurt myself. I had one stuck to my nose and one became a uni-brow for a while. I finally gave up after I got one tangled in my hair and the other fell on the floor and i didnt realize it, and scared me cause I thought it was a spider. How the devil do women get those things on straight anyway?

• Like 1

Just like women with naturally beautiful boobs get asked 'are those real?'...

I've gotten asked if my natural hair is real... and if it's my natural color. It's almost down to my waist. When I braid it, the braid is more than 2 inches thick. My hairstylist and friends say I have 'goddess' hair. Yes, I'm bragging! OTOH, I've had a crew cut before, have dyed it all kinds of crazy colors, and do wear clip in extensions occasionally when I want to insert a bit of color. Red, blue, purple... all that.

For a date last night, I sprayed the bangs purple (you can see them in my profile), as well as the tips. It was fun!

Anyway, back to the topic... I feel the same way about extensions that I do about shaving one's privates, makeup, nail polish, and all that... I really have better things to do with my time. It probably isn't healthy for your head or hair anyway. Fine if done occasionally.

Don't have an opinion on Botox. We'll see if/when I need it.

I've worked hard not to need a lot of makeup. Most of the time I don't wear any. I'd tell your friend to change her diet, drink more water, and get more sleep if she feels the need to pile it on. Sunscreen too, of course.

For blotchiness, there are some great, mild chemical peels one can do at home. Check out Kogic acid. Works great.

Edited by RedRobin
  • Like 1
regine_phalange

I tried false eyelashes once. I'm not coordinated enough for those and nearly hurt myself. I had one stuck to my nose and one became a uni-brow for a while. I finally gave up after I got one tangled in my hair and the other fell on the floor and i didnt realize it, and scared me cause I thought it was a spider. How the devil do women get those things on straight anyway?

LOL! LOL! I am laughing so hard! I dont think I would be able to handle this stuff either!

Just like women with naturally beautiful boobs get asked 'are those real?'...

My hair is super curly and takes forever to grow long. I mean, if i stretch it, it goes down my breast, but if i let it go, it springs back to the middle of my neck. *Poing*. At the same time it's very dark and has a lot of volume, so people often ask whether I am wearing a wig. :confused: I mean, even if I DID wear a wig, isnt it a very impolite question to ask?

Eternal Sunshine

I had hair extensions and they ruined my hair. Now I just have a natural hair and it's growing back thick and healthy - it's shoulder length atm.

I used to wear a lot of make up but everyone told me that I look better with less, that I don't need it. So now it's just some mascara and lip gloss for the most part :)

• Like 2

My hair sucks. I have thought about getting extensions because I like the way I look with longer, thicker hair. But I do have amazing boobs so there had to be a trade off somewhere.

Botox or anything surgical is too much for me. I kind of like getting older. I think I am getting better with age. :p

• Like 2
CrystalCastles
I am a natural kind of man, I appreciate naturual beauty. I try to understand why woman do things like this, especially ones who are already in a relationship, and I have heard various reasons. I guess though, if it really makes them feel good, go for it.

Any other opinions, comments, experiences?

In my experience, there are quite a few men like that. I never wear makeup. I've worked hard to keep my skin super clean (not even one speck of anything!) and I feel that anything more than moisturizer is excessive unless I'm on a date. I've never dyed my hair or styled it, it's naturally long and thick. Quite a few guys hit on me, especially at the gym where I'm all sweaty from my workout and wearing an old t shirt and leggings. :laugh:

I think to each their own. Some guys prefer a girl all natural. Some guys prefer a girl dolled up. I like the men who like me natural because I work hard to take care of myself and I want that to show, rather than covering it up with makeup/hair extensions etc.

• Like 1

I've noticed a lot of 40+ year old women are getting hair extensions. Most of them look bad, mainly because they go the cheap route and get artificial hair, not human hair. Plus they are usually overweight and frumpy generally. Fake hair won't change much. "Mutton dressed as lamb."

I almost stuck my foot in it on Halloween when a woman in our department, wearing a sparkly headband with dark brown extensions nearly to her waist (facially she looks like

), walked into the kitchen. I very nearly blurted out, "That's an interesting costume." Fortunately in that split second between the thought in my brain and the words coming out of my mouth, a "censor" muzzled me!

Nothing wrong with changing your appearance but you had better know what you are doing or risk ridicule.

Edited by FitChick
PinkInTheLimo

LMAO!!! That's why I've never tried them, I'm sure it would be like you describe :laugh:

PinkInTheLimo
i almost stuck my foot in it on halloween when a woman in our department, wearing a sparkly headband with dark brown extensions nearly to her waist (facially she looks like alice kravitz from bewitched), walked into the kitchen. I very nearly blurted out, "that's an interesting costume." fortunately in that split second between the thought in my brain and the words coming out of my mouth, a "censor" muzzled me!

hahahahaha!!!

There are many different types of extensions so it really depends on the person and their hair type. I looked into getting them for my wedding but with my hair color and not wanting the glue in or the strips I opted out of it. There were no clip in ones that would work for me. But I have fine hair so it can do some damage so it is best if you get them in you keep wearing them. My sister's hair is fine and just doesn't grow so something she looked into.

I really have no issues with whatever someone wants to do if they have the disposable income and the inclination. I have done botox, hair dye, laser, chemical peel, etc. and I am in my 30s. I don't see the big deal. The only thing I stay consistent on is the hair dye as red is not my natural color and I started getting greys in my early 20s (damn eating disorder!).

I know a number of women who do a great deal but you can't tell, it all looks natural and then others who are obvious. To each their own.

Speaking of that, I could use another round of botox on my forehead and laser for the brown spots. Being a casper white person and spending your younger years lifeguarding is just not a good combination and there is damage because of it.

• Author
How old is she?

I'm 44 and my hair grows 2.5 cm (1 inch)per month.

It only didn't really grow when I used to blow dry and straighten it to an inch of it's life - that was a few years ago now though. I'd never do that to it again.

Is she aware that hair extensions cause damage to existing hair also? Some have been left with bald patches from using hair extensions.

I'm not one for fakery myself....a bit of make up is as far as I would go...and no..I don't know why people do it.

Yes, she blow dries her hair everyday.

Sher uses organic moisturzers and a SPF on her face.

Her extensions are real hair, not glued in though, some of band or something that goes around her head. She said she can feel it. She wants to upgrade to the more permanent ones, current ones are an experiment.

She does dye her hair to hide the greys. States she is losing a lot of her hair too, and this scares her.

To another posters reply, she says she does this for her, not for me, that it makes her feel good.

She does her nails too (I think they are fake). She has naturally bigger breasts, no implants, but she does not see any harm in other woman having/getting them.

Edited by Babolat

Her extensions are real hair, not glued in though, some of band or something that goes around her head. She said she can feel it. She wants to upgrade to the more permanent ones, current ones are an experiment.

She does dye her hair to hide the greys. States she is losing a lot of her hair too, and this scares her.

To another posters reply, she says she does this for her, not for me, that it makes her feel good.

She does her nails too (I think they are fake). She has naturally bigger breasts, no implants, but she does not see any harm in other woman having/getting them.

I've 'conditioned' my hair to only need washing once a week at most. Natural oils are the best thing to keep hair healthy.

The more you wash it, the more it needs it... really bad for hair. Blow drying is the worst. I only blow dry my bangs. The rest dries naturally.

Sounds like she could use some intensive, holistic ideas for her hair, skin, and body!

Edited: about the implants. I don't hold it against women who have them. Some of my friends are very athletic and have zero boobs. To them, it was the equivalent of having a micropenis.

One of my friends got fat grafting. Basically, fat from one part of the body is transplanted to the breasts. She went up from an A to a large B/small C... basically, 'normal' size. She didn't really have much fat elsewhere either. Kind of amazing. So hers are still natural, in other words.

Edited by RedRobin
  • Like 1
  • Author
I've 'conditioned' my hair to only need washing once a week at most. Natural oils are the best thing to keep hair healthy.

The more you wash it, the more it needs it... really bad for hair. Blow drying is the worst. I only blow dry my bangs. The rest dries naturally.

Sounds like she could use some intensive, holistic ideas for her hair, skin, and body!

Edited: about the implants. I don't hold it against women who have them. Some of my friends are very athletic and have zero boobs. To them, it was the equivalent of having a micropenis.

One of my friends got fat grafting. Basically, fat from one part of the body is transplanted to the breasts. She went up from an A to a large B/small C... basically, 'normal' size. She didn't really have much fat elsewhere either. Kind of amazing. So hers are still natural, in other words.

The guy that cuts my hair told me to stop washing my hair daily, same thing, natural oils and too much washing strips them away. So now, like you, around once a week for me. And I never blow dry my hair, let it dry on it's own.

Off topic, I once asked the ex gf what her plan was when her implants "time was up". She said fat grafting, which I had no idea what that was, until I just read your comment.

I know a lady that got botox and all I can say is Wooooooooow!!! I’m speechless to this day. Hey eyebrows are now so high up on her face that they are almost touching her hairline ... like this ( :( ) except she's not frowning she's always smiling.. Maybe she's frowning on the inside when she looks in the mirror and thinks her hair is thinning out and then realizes that it's not a receding hair line it's just her misplaced eyebrows. I'm serious those things are so high that when I talk to her all I can do is stare at them, I don't do it on purpose my eyes are just drawn to them like magnets.

I'm ok with women and men doing procedures but sometimes it's just not necessary and the after looks much wore than the before.

The guy that cuts my hair told me to stop washing my hair daily, same thing, natural oils and too much washing strips them away. So now, like you, around once a week for me. And I never blow dry my hair, let it dry on it's own.

Off topic, I once asked the ex gf what her plan was when her implants "time was up". She said fat grafting, which I had no idea what that was, until I just read your comment.

... yea, basically the love handles get moved up a foot or two.

Like any surgery though, there has to be complications of some sort. Nothing is without risk.

So, pretty soon, the answer to the question 'are those real?' for a woman who has had fat grafting will be 'absolutely!'

OTOH, I kinda think variations in women's bodies is what gives them character and unique beauty. Is a bummer when everyone is kinda cookie cutter and looks the same.

Midnight_Princess

]Her extensions are real hair, not glued in though, some of band or something that goes around her head. She said she can feel it. She wants to upgrade to the more permanent ones, current ones are an experiment.

Hi. Speaking from personal experience here. Tell her to stick with the clip in extensions. It seens like more effort but its really not, and they are the most natural looking. Make sure she does not get micro bead extensions(not sure if where your from has a different name for them) they fall out, look obvious, need to be moved up every few weeks and she will need to replace the whole set a lot sooner. And they will ruin her hair! They snapped my hair off and in the end my medium length hair ended up being a shorter then shoulder length patchy ruined mess. I paid a good amount for mine too. Make sure she does her research of the bad aswell as good it happens a lot.