How important is it for your guy to have a car?

I'm a 19 year old community college student. I have my own apartment. I make decent money. But i don't have a car.

Reason i don't have a car is because i was involved in an incident with a car before i got my license. I'm on unsupervised probation until i'm 21. And therefore not allowed to drive.

I don't really need a car because i don't drive for work and my school is in a busy city so i couldn't drive there even if i wanted to.

When i'm in a situation where i need a car (late night parties) i just call a cab. And plus i dont have to worry about driving myself home.

But today these girls in my class were saying how they would never date a dude without a car. And how all these guys try to act so rich but can't even afford cars and blah blah blah blah blah. Funny thing is i've been out with two of those girls and they never complained about me being car less. I assumed they stopped talking to me because i'm not a very fun person to be around. But maybe it was because i didn't have a car?

So be honest ladies is whether or not a guy has a car a big deal? And should i just buy one? I doubt i'll get pulled over but i'm paranoid.

Moving beyond your past criminal record would be, IMO, a priority over getting chicks who wouldn't date a guy without a car. That said, this is as old as the hills. Back in my days as a young man, a car was not only required but it (the specific car) had to be acceptable within the social circle to gain admittance to those who had it as a requirement of their presence. That said, if the young lady was enamored of the young man otherwise, she might be more flexible on the car aspect. Perhaps that's the key. If she's attracted initially and you grow that attraction, the car thing will not be a deal-breaker. If there's any ambiguity or the attraction isn't that strong, then bzzt, you're out. Hence, I'd suggest staying within the law on the car thing and growing attraction in those individuals where it is apparent.

• Like 1
  • Author
Moving beyond your past criminal record would be, IMO, a priority over getting chicks who wouldn't date a guy without a car. That said, this is as old as the hills. Back in my days as a young man, a car was not only required but it (the specific car) had to be acceptable within the social circle to gain admittance to those who had it as a requirement of their presence. That said, if the young lady was enamored of the young man otherwise, she might be more flexible on the car aspect. Perhaps that's the key. If she's attracted initially and you grow that attraction, the car thing will not be a deal-breaker. If there's any ambiguity or the attraction isn't that strong, then bzzt, you're out. Hence, I'd suggest staying within the law on the car thing and growing attraction in those individuals where it is apparent.

Well i don't have a sign on my head that says PAST CRIMINAL RECORD, and i'm a pretty mild mannered person. Nobody would expect that i even had a record. And i'm not really with the "love" thing so i feel no reason to tell a girl my life story.

I see what you are saying though. If they like me anyway a car wont matter in the end. Well to be honest i would rather a girl not talk to me because i didn't have a car then talk to me because she loves my car lol. So yea i will stay car less. Just kind of annoying. Its the one thing i'm self conscience about. Seems like even the bums have cars and im stuck on the bus.

You're right, you don't have a sign. However, and this has proven out when we get DOJ backgrounds for CCW (weapons permits), what happened to you as a teenager is on your record and will be there forever, even if expunged from the standpoint of past criminality. No sense in risking an adult record of violating the terms of your probation to pick up chicks.

Each choice you make today affects you, in some way, for the rest of your life. Suggestion: Look around at the ladies who walk and ride the bus, like yourself. Plenty of choices and that's just what's in front of you every day.

• Like 1

But today these girls in my class were saying how they would never date a dude without a car. And how all these guys try to act so rich but can't even afford cars and blah blah blah blah blah. Funny thing is i've been out with two of those girls and they never complained about me being car less. I assumed they stopped talking to me because i'm not a very fun person to be around. But maybe it was because i didn't have a car?

So be honest ladies is whether or not a guy has a car a big deal? And should i just buy one? I doubt i'll get pulled over but i'm paranoid.

I'm sooo happy that I am way beyond this age! :)

Don't buy a car for this! Nuts. Keep looking for girls that are interested in you and not a car.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Does the probation apply to motorcycles too ?

If not, get something decent like a F650 GS [sH they are pretty good], and problem solved.

You are no longer judged as you think you are judged now, but as a 'cool loner'.

If it applies, then pls stay within the law and avoid getting any type of vehicles.

The girls in question first of all are talking big to show off; the moment they get the hots for a guy, at their age they are likely to forget he has a conviction for drug, wears an ankle monitor and is not allowed to drive ... all rules they had generally go out the window.

And second, at that age they are 'impressed' by displays of status ... owning things, nevermind that the 'hot guy' they are impressed lives in a gilded cage and wants to kill himself by the time he's 30 because of the massive debt he has.

What i'm trying to say, if a girl is impressed by such material posesions, it's much cheaper [and safer for your sanity], to get another girlfriend than to contract debt.

Antenna_Of_Destiny

I have friends who don't have a car, but they have fancy black/chrome bicycles with 29 inch fat tires, a passenger seat, cargo space, headlights, etc.

Your best bet is getting 10 handmade suits, 25 dress shirts, 50 silk ties, and at least 5 pairs of shoes. Accessorize with a top hat, a monocle, or a fancy bicycle. You'll stand out. Bonus points if you can fend off attackers with a sword cane.

• Like 1
nomadic_butterfly

Depends. I have lived in some of the largest cities in America and Europe and sometimes cars are not even necessary. It also depends on age. If I live in a place like Florida or LA where one MUST have a car then I would not date a guy without a vehicle. I'm 26 and usually date men 30 and up so by that age they must have their stuff together.

Anyway, if you meet a nice girl that you feel comfortable sharing this with she might be understanding. If you live in a big city like NY where most people take public transport, no biggie :-). Get a car when you can only because you need/want to. Not to just impress some girl.

I'm a 19 year old community college student. I have my own apartment. I make decent money. But i don't have a car.

Reason i don't have a car is because i was involved in an incident with a car before i got my license. I'm on unsupervised probation until i'm 21. And therefore not allowed to drive.

I don't really need a car because i don't drive for work and my school is in a busy city so i couldn't drive there even if i wanted to.

When i'm in a situation where i need a car (late night parties) i just call a cab. And plus i dont have to worry about driving myself home.

thefooloftheyear

Unless I lived in a place like NYC where car ownership is nothing but a big pain in the ass, I wouldnt dare embarrass myself asking a woman on a date, then asking her to pick me up because I dont drive, have a license or own a car.

Thats just me, if it works for you....go with it.

TFY

Girls can sometimes brag among themselves about standards they don't always follow. Just like guys do. I think with most women you'll be fine as long as you have a way to get where you need to go that doesn't involve being dependent on them, aren't ashamed or insecure about it, and they don't need you to drive them somewhere on a regular basis. :o

I live in DC so almost none of us mid 20s have cars. We all metro to dates haha. I don't own a car ( paying back college loans is where my money goes)

When the other person has a car and I don't, I get self conscious.

thefooloftheyear

And besides....women are such horrible drivers I dont want to have to wear a helmet and a HANS device every time we go out...:laugh:

TFY

Depends where you live. My gf is 90 minutes drive from me (or a convenient 4 hours by bus). I need my car. When we began dating I didn't have my licence yet and she drive to my place. She didn't mind but I wanted to get mine ASAP so we could split the load. I'm in my early 20s in Melbourne, Australia and I haven't noticed anyone caring what kind of car you drive. Although there are some negative stereotypes associated with people who drive 90s "riced up" cars or beat up old V8s with mags and lowers to impress "da ladies".

Myself, I drive a new sports car and it gets me attention and everyone's very impressed. But it doesn't define me. People see and say "oh cool car" and that's the end of it.