LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > General Relationship Discussion

I've been keeping this from her...

General Relationship Discussion Everything else under the sun. Not sure where to post? This is the place!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2013, 12:15 AM   #1

I've been keeping this from her...

Backstory: Met my current gf at work almost a year ago. We were just friends for about 5 months before dating for 4 months now. Everything is great.

What I have been keeping from her is the fact that my brother is schizophrenic. I don't know why I haven't told her. Maybe it's because I'm trying to be protective of myself... my family. I haven't even told my closest friends whom I've known since high school (I'm 28). Things with her are moving smoothly and I think before we get like knee deep into this, I think I should tell her soon.

I know what I have to do and just tell her. I want to hear from you guys. Is this a big deal that I havent told her yet? Do you think she will get upset? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks.
OpenBook13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Established Member

No you havent done anything wrong but you should tell her before she meets him maybe......good luck...deb
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 1:48 AM   #3
Established Member

I actually dated a guy in HS whose brother was a schizophrenic.

I think if anything it will bring you two closer.
Everyone has family issues, trust me.
Old 28th August 2013, 2:00 AM   #4
Established Member

You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! I am not quite sure why you feel this way?

This woman should be nothing but supportive and understanding. If she is anything other than this, it indicates a huge problem IMO.

Just tell her - this is not a big deal in any way, shape or form (in the context of your relationship). If it is for her, then that's on her, and I'd advise to end this relationship quickly if that's the case. The stigma surrounding mental illness is really depressing
almond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 10:12 PM   #5

I don't think its a big deal that you have not told her & I cant imagine that she would be upset...but I do think that you should tell her soon...especially if things are "great."
semicharmedlife is offline   Reply With Quote