Does anyone have any insight to the story inside?

I'm going to try to make this as short and sweet as possible.

I had a girlfriend in high school 14 years ago. We ended on bad terms. I never really got over her...It ruined my life and I have never been the same.

Recently I came across her on Facebook. She's married with two kids. I sent her a message on her birthday and this is what it said...

"I just wanted to tell you Happy Birthday J***. I’ve never forgot your birthday, and every June 23rd I’ve always said happy birthday to you in my head at least. I’ve always thought about you, always wondered how you were doing, and always wondered how your life has turned out. I hope you are happy and I see that you have two beautiful little ones from your picture. I have two little girls of my own. I’m sure you are very proud as I am. For what it’s worth, I just want you to know that out of all the mistakes I’ve made in my life, my most profound regret is the way that I treated you so many years ago. It has weighed on my mind for all these years. I hope that somewhere along your journey you’ve found a way to forgive me. My heart goes out to you and your family and I hope you enjoy your special day."

The message showed that she read it at 7:34am that morning. I kept checking the message to see if she would at least reply. Nothing happened all day.....THEN sometime in the evening her picture was missing from the message and it just said (facebook user) meaning she blocked me.

I'm devastated.....SHE BLOCKED ME!! :( Does anyone have any insight? advice? I'm really freakin depressed.

(and please don't say "get over it") It's obvious I'm never going to be able to get over this girl. I've come to grips with her not being around and have adapted and lived my life but there is not a day I don't think about her.

Country_Girl

I understand you had good intentions, but If I got a message like that I'd assume you were trying to re-kindle something. I think the comment about every June 23 I say happy birthday in my head- was way too much. Listen, it's sweet and I get where you were going with that and you were trying to be nice- but she probably took it a different way.

I wouldn't worry about it, she probably wanted to block contact because she didn't know what you were getting at sending a message so many years later.

Chalk it up to lesson learned. Don't be depressed about it, her loss right?

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah I thought it was maybe too far to say that one line too, but I meant it, because that's what I do when that day pops up. In my head I think of her and I'm like "happy birthday". It's just so upsetting, she was the love of my life...still is...and I just can't seem to get her out of my head. I wish I could erase my memory of her. If I can't be with the love of my life, what's the point of being in any relationships or keeping the memories? Sorry I'm being negative, I'm just in a really negative mood since the other day. More heart broken then anything...

Country_Girl
Yeah I thought it was maybe too far to say that one line too, but I meant it, because that's what I do when that day pops up. In my head I think of her and I'm like "happy birthday". It's just so upsetting, she was the love of my life...still is...and I just can't seem to get her out of my head. I wish I could erase my memory of her. If I can't be with the love of my life, what's the point of being in any relationships or keeping the memories? Sorry I'm being negative, I'm just in a really negative mood since the other day. More heart broken then anything...

I get why you said it, but sometimes you gotta hold back you know? There's no-one that hasn't thought about an ex on their birthday, but you just don't verbalize it - it can come across as 'pinning for someone'.

If she was the love of your life, she wouldn't have blocked you. She would have taken it as a compliment, that all these years later you thought of her. You need to take her off the pedastool, you are idealizing her.

Time does a funny thing- it tends to erase the negative experiances and we are left with the good ones. Why do you think so many people 'try again' and it doesn't work out? Because people forget the bad, and those things come back up to the surface at a later date.

How do you even know you would like the her 'today', all these years later?

Take her off the pedastool, she doesn't deserve it.

deenalowens

Exactly what dragoness said - and good for her for doing so for not just safety's sake, but also for respect of her current relationship. Too many people have had their relationships affected by social media/Facebook, when ex'es from the past pop up and try to rekindle, rightfully annoying their current partners. If someone has a great life going for them, why not let them live it. People break up for a reason, and it is unfortunate you are holding on to the past instead of moving on towards the future.

When it seems like it was the 'greatest thing ever, no one else can ever compare' it's simply not true. If it was, both people would have made it last.