Are women as a group more homogenous in what they find physically attractive?

MomsSpaghetti

To restate: Is there less variation in what the population of women find physically attractive in men, than in what what the population of men find physically attractive in women? Also, do you find that men or women are more compromising with their physical preferences?

• Like 1
ThaWholigan
To restate: Is there less variation in what the population of women find physically attractive in men, than in what what the population of men find physically attractive in women?

No, I don't think there is. I think that it's somewhat difficult to pin down preferences of either gender as a whole - and most studies that are conducted generally are never large enough and usually have some type of agenda to push (i.e. women only like tall men, men only like big boobs or some other variation).

In my short time on Earth, I've found that individual preferences are far more common than gender-wide preferences.

Also, do you find that men or women are more compromising with their physical preferences?

Again, this depends on the individual. Some men/women derive their physical attraction in physiological energy rather than simply aesthetic appearances, while for others it is the opposite. Some people are more geared towards physical attraction than others too. For many it may be unconscious attraction to certain physical traits that they may be unaware of (not always the same that people think they are). It's difficult to pin down in many ways.

There is a look that the majority do find aesthetically pleasing (either gender), but that doesn't always precipitate immediate sexual attraction, nor does it mean that only the people who have this look get all the sex.

• Like 2

I actually think the reverse is true. Men have a more homogenous "type" of woman they find physically attractive.

• Like 3
  • Author
MomsSpaghetti
I think that it's somewhat difficult to pin down preferences of either gender as a whole

What does that even mean?

- and most studies that are conducted generally are never large enough and usually have some type of agenda to push (i.e. women only like tall men, men only like big boobs or some other variation).

So the UCLA study where 96% of women said they wouldn't date a guy shorter than them, had some agenda to push? Are you also a 9-11 Truther?

In my short time on Earth, I've found that individual preferences are far more common than gender-wide preferences.

Again, what does this even mean?

Again, this depends on the individual.

Duh, but in the study of statistics there are these constants denoted mu and sigma, that usually hold some non-trivial information about a group.

• Like 1
ThaWholigan
What does that even mean?

It means, I don't think that women or men are more homogenous than the other.

So the UCLA study where 96% of women said they wouldn't date a guy shorter than them, had some agenda to push? Are you also a 9-11 Truther?

1. Most likely. Every short guy I know does well with women.

2. Yes, I am.

Again, what does this even mean?

It means that people are different and they like different things. Sometimes it's detrimental to claim that all or most women/men like the same things.

Duh, but in the study of statistics there are these constants denoted mu and sigma, that usually hold some non-trivial information about a group.

Agree, but if they really wanted to find out, they would expand upon those studies more.

nah, i don't think there's really much of a pattern in attractiveness... sure, there's a handful of things that are always gonna be preferred, but TBH the majority of those things are related to hygiene... so if someone maintains good hygiene and takes care of themselves, their level of attractiveness is gonna be generally decent.

• Like 2
  • Author
MomsSpaghetti

1. Most likely. Every short guy I know does well with women.

2. Yes, I am.

I rest my case. lol

ThaWholigan
I rest my case. lol

Let us hear what you believe about what women like then :laugh:......

• Author
MomsSpaghetti
Let us hear what you believe about what women like then :laugh:......

"Tall, dark, and handsome," a preference without much deviation between the population of women, and without much room for compromise. I've heard women say that they can't find a guy attractive if he's under 6'0" or has light hair. It's stated as an absolute: "I only like guys with black hair." Having light hair automatically makes you unattractive to them. Quite an unfortunate reality for guys like Daniel Craig and Brad Pitt.

• Like 1

Yes, Brad Pitt and Daniel Craig are crying in their lonely beers every night, those poor unloveable yellow-headed bastards.

• Like 7
Quite an unfortunate reality for guys like Daniel Craig and Brad Pitt.

What are you talking about? Those guys are considered two of the most aesthetic people on the planet. I find that if you are aesthetic, girls will overlook other minor things such as hair color.

• Like 1
ThaWholigan
"Tall, dark, and handsome," a preference without much deviation between the population of women, and without much room for compromise. I've heard women say that they can't find a guy attractive if he's under 6'0" or has light hair. It's stated as an absolute: "I only like guys with black hair." Having light hair automatically makes you unattractive to them. Quite an unfortunate reality for guys like Daniel Craig and Brad Pitt.

Well let's see.

I'm tall. I'm very dark. I'm pretty decent looking.....

I'd say I'm good :). Thanks :D

• Like 3

I do prefer a guy who is taller than me, but I do not like dark men (other than Wholigan of course, who is a genius and who you should really listen to!) I love blonde hair on a man, and I prefer someone who is regular looking over someone very handsome.

I have dated guys who were shorter than me, who were bald, who were fat, and who were really skinny. Physical attractiveness may get my attention, but if there isn't something else there to keep it, I keep on walking.

• Like 1

Women are all over the place in what they are attracted to. We are more attracted to specific men, rather than groups. One "tall, dark, handsome" may be hot, and another less so. One "short, bald, hairy" may be hot, while others are not.

Charisma matters a lot.

• Like 1
Yes, Brad Pitt and Daniel Craig are crying in their lonely beers every night, those poor unloveable yellow-headed bastards.

They are soooooo hideous!!!! I can't understand how Angelina can even sleep with Brad. I bet she turns the lights off.

• Like 2
They are soooooo hideous!!!! I can't understand how Angelina can even sleep with Brad. I bet she turns the lights off.

Whenever women say Brad Pitt or some obviously aesthetic guy is ugly, it automatically lessens whatever they say to me from that point on. It's like people trying to take others down a few pegs. It's so stupid.

serial muse

Oh never mind, blah blah blee, it's not worth bothering. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
Whenever women say Brad Pitt or some obviously aesthetic guy is ugly, it automatically lessens whatever they say to me from that point on. It's like people trying to take others down a few pegs. It's so stupid.

I was joking, dude... I don't believe in taking ANYONE down a few pegs. I only believe in trying to help other people see their value and beauty.

• Like 2

Women are judged far more on their appearance than men are, especially during first impressions.

• Like 2

I find it impossible to take the OP seriously because of the complete disregard for wholigans opinion, based solely on his stance of a completely unrelated topic.

How incredibly ignorant.

• Like 1
todreaminblue
I find it impossible to take the OP seriously because of the complete disregard for wholigans opinion, based solely on his stance of a completely unrelated topic.

How incredibly ignorant.

i had to look homogeneous up........and i am still at a loss to understand the topic heading...because it seems to be a thing about finding an equation and pin pointing women into a defined group....and that made my head hurt......so........

i agree thawholigan was eloquent and thoughtful........deb

mesmerized

I bet my life that 90+ percent of men will find a slim girl with big boobs and a good hip to waste ratio very attractive (which we all know is very rare naturally). I wouldn't bet my life for anything similar for women.

In this day and age with internet and all the media, most men find the same things attractive, unfortunately.

Mme. Chaucer
What are you talking about? Those guys are considered two of the most aesthetic people on the planet. I find that if you are aesthetic, girls will overlook other minor things such as hair color.

I believe you are misusing that word. Often.

Perhaps you mean "aesthetically pleasing," or something like that?

Google is your friend ...

• Like 3
To restate: Is there less variation in what the population of women find physically attractive in men, than in what what the population of men find physically attractive in women? Also, do you find that men or women are more compromising with their physical preferences?

No, I think it is equal.

In my experience both genders care a lot about looks and neither gender has much variation in who it considers attractive.

Having said that there are disruptions to this model in certain situations, like online dating.

OKC did a study where they had men rate women on looks. Men judged women fairly with a nice distribution. Meaning men accurately considered most women as average looking and equal number of women below average and above average.

Women were not so kind to the men.

Women judged an incredible 80% of men as below average looking.

Which is a completely unrealistic standard.

I think online dating is at fault for this type of disruption.

DannyMason
I believe you are misusing that word. Often.

Perhaps you mean "aesthetically pleasing," or something like that?

Google is your friend ...

I think he's using it the way body builders do. It's a method for talking about male beauty without sounding gay. A bit less clunky than saying something like "he's very attractive (no homo)" all the time.