Flirting or friendly?

I guess I am looking for male perspective here. There's this guy at the gym who would regularly make eye contact with me and smile. Then he'd not seem to notice me for a few days. Then he'd be back to looking at me.

After a few months of this, he came up to me and asked me if I had ever modeled. I laughed and said no. Then he asked if was a dancer. I told him that I wasn't. He then complimented me on my posture. He looked down at the ground after that, so I figured that he was through with the conversation, so I just said thanks. And that was that. Now he is back to not looking at me.

What's the deal with him? Was he flirting? Or is my posture just that amazing that strangers feel compelled to make comments? :laugh:

he came up to talk to you but by the sounds of it you gave him basicly one word answers so he might think your not intrested.

Originally posted by gymgirl

What's the deal with him? Was he flirting? Or is my posture just that amazing that strangers feel compelled to make comments? :laugh:

This was an obvious flirtation on his part. I'm fairly certain he's given up hope with you, seeing as how you responded to his advances. I realize that you did not know if he was flirting with you, but if he thinks you did, he would probably perceive your reaction to be rather cold.

Additionally, why do people have to ask if Person X is flirting or interested in you? You are not going to know for certain by asking other people. Instead, I think that people should just go up to Person X and ask, "Are you interested in me?" I do, and it works. ::shrug::

Then again, there are times when I completely do not see one person's idea of flirting as flirting at all. If I am curious as to someone's feeling, however, I just ask them.

errrmm if anyone i just spoke to or the first time came up and said "Are you interested in me?" i'd think they are a little too forward, flirting and getting to know each other is half the fun.

• Author

Hmmm. It seems I goofed up. I guess there's nothing I can do about it now.

And the mere thought of flat out asking a stranger if he's interested in me terrifies me. I mean, what if he says no and then I feel like an idiot when I see him every day? Faux, does that really work for you? Does anyone ever say, "Why, no, I am not interested?"

try to be friends with him.... coz if he's a little more comfortable maybe he'll open up by himself.

he's shy probably, that can be cute in guys sometimes. :laugh:

ask him to help you adjust a machine at the gym or something the next time you bump into him.

you could have a nice gym partner even if he's not interested in anything more.

the way you are asking...... ahem.... sounds like YOU are interested in HIM ;)