Consolidated discussion - "Leagues"

*******2018 discussion begins here*******

It is possible to quantify certain aspects of attractiveness. Symmetry, and a certain ratio known as the golden ratio.

This website explains it well.

http://www.goldennumber.net/beauty/

I also found a website which will take an image of your face and assign it a number out of ten based on how attractive it is. It can work for males and females.

I did my face as both a male and a female, same picture different setting, I scored an 8.54 as a male and 8.62 as a female. For comparisons sake I did Daniel Craig (Bond) and he scored an 8.36 and Aishwara Rai (of Bollywood fame) who scored 8.65.

So what's the use of this?

Studies show that all else being equal people pair off based on overall attractiveness. Especially facial attractiveness, they say it more than anything is an honest and hard to manipulate indicator of genetic health.

I've wondered if I've been going after an insanely more attractive than I am set of people. I am not. For example the young woman I've been writing about lately scored about the same as me to within 0.02.

In this day and age where everyone has a decent headshot on their social networks one can take their pic, and that of their intended and get an idea of weather or not they have a legit shot.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Merged threads and insert update link

I also found a website which will take an image of your face and assign it a number out of ten based on how attractive it is. It can work for males and females.

What website? Now I'm curious :p

ScreamingTrees

C'mon, those online face-pic upload attractiveness rating sites are no different than the "enter your name and the name of your crush to determine if you're astrologically made for one another" sites.. LOL

How is it going to perfectly scan your face on a photo potentially full of objects? If it was even legit to some extent, I don't think it'd be accurate. Most people who're not physically deformed would probably measure around an 8.

• Like 4

Remember that leagues exist. But they are different for each individual person.

Someone you might think is out of your league, might actually think you're out of hers. It happened to me before.

Yeah I did mine a few times and got between 8 and 9 more than once - but the computer stuff isn't really a great way to objectively measure a "league".

I don't really think leagues exist anyway....

• Like 2

Yeah...leagues don't exist. I tried to say that in my post before but reading it again, I don't think the "message" i was trying to convey went through like I thought it would.

charlietheginger

Facial beauty does not cover body symmetry.

Example 2 men with faces that look exactly

Alike or close enough to be twins.

I have often seen twins and one is hot and the

Other not.

In highschool two girls were twins face looked

alike . But one girl walked hunched over and had

Weird boney legs. While the twin sister didn't have the

Hunchback or boney legs.

Facial charts dont take posture , birthmarks , warts

Moles , sleepy eyes and crooked teeth into consideration

• Like 1
  • Author
What website? Now I'm curious :p

Anaface - Facial Beauty Analysis - Score Your Face

C'mon, those online face-pic upload attractiveness rating sites are no different than the "enter your name and the name of your crush to determine if you're astrologically made for one another" sites.. LOL

Actually it's quite different from that if you know how it works. First thing is You only put in your picture (Or of whoever your going to rate).

The second thing is it's not all that automated as you seem to imagine.

How is it going to perfectly scan your face on a photo potentially full of objects? If it was even legit to some extent, I don't think it'd be accurate. Most people who're not physically deformed would probably measure around an 8.

Here is how. The software does not "scan" your image.

You designate 17 key points on your face which it will then measure the distances between to compute your facial symmetry and proportionality to the golden ratio.

The computer does not decide you are attractive or try to tell you what you want to hear. If that was the case then the image of Daniel Craig I provided it should have done better since he's a good looking guy. The points are places like the corners of your mouth, eyes, nose etc.

Symmetry is a measure of attractiveness that animal behaviorist have seen is attractive in every creature from fruit flies to chimps. Psych experiments have validated this measure in people.

The golden ratio is a proportion which has been found in nature on scales from galaxyies to humans and snails. The more proportional your face and body is the more attractive you are. There is some real science behind this.

A couple references which will back up what I just said.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1088785/pdf/PB011617.pdf

Symmetry, sexual dimorphism in facial proportions and male facial attractiveness

IS Penton-Voak, BC Jones… - … of the Royal …, 2001 - rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org

http://faceresearch.org/students/notes/symmetry.pdf

Why are symmetric faces attractive? - Face Research

faceresearch.org/students/notes/symmetry.pdf

Hey if you think it's BS don't try it. At the least it's a fun measure.

Actually it's quite different from that if you know how it works. First thing is You only put in your picture (Or of whoever your going to rate).

You designate 17 key points on your face which it will then measure the distances between to compute your facial symmetry and proportionality to the golden ratio.

The computer does not decide you are attractive or try to tell you what you want to hear. If that was the case then the image of Daniel Craig I provided it should have done better since he's a good looking guy. The points are places like the corners of your mouth, eyes, nose etc.

Symmetry is a measure of attractiveness that animal behaviorist have seen is attractive in every creature from fruit flies to chimps. Psych experiments have validated this measure in people.

The golden ratio is a proportion which has been found in nature on scales from galaxyies to humans and snails. The more proportional your face and body is the more attractive you are. There is some real science behind this.

Symmetry, sexual dimorphism in facial proportions and male facial attractiveness

IS Penton-Voak, BC Jones… - … of the Royal …, 2001 - rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org

But it doesn't account for height, muscles, skin problems, bad teeth, or a ****ty personality.

Your "league" can't be determined by symmetry because we are not just attracted to symmetry. If a guy had a perfectly symmetrical face but he was socially awkward he's not gonna do better than an average faced male with social skills.

• Like 2
  • Author
There are no leagues.

Science does not support this very hopeful assertion.

Science of Sex Appeal: Out of Your League? : Video : Discovery Channel

:shrug:

I am the first one to say that things like social status, networking and personality make a huge difference. The program linked above even shows this. However if you have a certain level of facial and body looks you do have an easier time attracting sexual attention. Which can lead to relationships.

All the things you mention are quite valid.

However, as many here have lamented. Quite often one's personality doesn't get a chance to shine through if their shell is too unattractive. They just don't get a chance.

When I was single, my league, if there was a league, was not determined by how closely the symmetry of our faces matched. It was more of a social group of like-minded people that would have established such a thing. For example, a dead head would have been out of my league.

JuneJulySeptember

Meh. I dunno about that online thing. :lmao:

But face is definitely one of the most important things when it comes to dating. Bar none. Especially for men.

I agree that beauty is in general NOT subjective.

As for my own league, I waver, but it's probably not too high. Sometimes I feel I should just stick to my exact female equivalent physically with an average face, and go from there. Though that would significantly shorten my dating pool.

Then again, I've been rejected by a number of women who fit that exact prototype.

So, hard to say. :eek:

Science does not support this very hopeful assertion.

Science of Sex Appeal: Out of Your League? : Video : Discovery Channel

:shrug:

I am the first one to say that things like social status, networking and personality make a huge difference. The program linked above even shows this. However if you have a certain level of facial and body looks you do have an easier time attracting sexual attention. Which can lead to relationships.

All the things you mention are quite valid.

However, as many here have lamented. Quite often one's personality doesn't get a chance to shine through if their shell is too unattractive. They just don't get a chance.

If I believed what you believe I would be a bitter, unsuccessful, depressed man. Good thing I don't.

ScreamingTrees

I'm sure even infants understand this, albeit subconsciously.

I don't think someone who sees a monster in the mirror should seek out a mathetmatical rating of his appearance. I think it could only do harm to that person.

....Quite often one's personality doesn't get a chance to shine through if their shell is too unattractive. They just don't get a chance.

This, very much this. Unfortunately it's just a "deal with it" situation. I mean, if you have to change yourself it's not really worth it.

• Author
If I believed what you believe I would be a bitter, unsuccessful, depressed man. Good thing I don't.

Perhaps you would be those things...but I am not. Looks do matter to an extent. They aren't the whole story, but they do matter.

There's no need to be uncivil.

Just to check if the website I linked to will tell anyone their about an 8.5 I choose a picture of the elephant man. One of the ugliest of uglies most deformed of deformities to ever live... scored a 4.29.

Don't feel bad, I'd probably score around that, or lower.

I tried it w/a pic of the guy I liked and he got a 8.28. Ego = Brutally Murdered now lol

WTH, I just tried it with a better picture of myself (where my hair wasn't in the way as much) and I got an 8.4? That's a pretty big difference 0_o

Edited by TheZebra
  • Author
I tried it w/a pic of the guy I liked and he got a 8.28. Ego = Brutally Murdered now lol

All that means is that you will have a bit more of a challenge.

Edited to add:

Ah. Four of the points the software uses are your ears. If you were just guessing where those were your guesses may not have flattered you. It's amazing what a tiny difference can make in attractiveness. Another point this raises is that if one was really serious about this and wanted to be scientific they would have to do two things. Take many meausrements with many pictures of themselves to get an averaged score. Then they would have to take many more pictures of the population to get an idea of where they stand.

But we are just having some fun here so relax.

My own result kind of explains why I am the way I am. I scored about the same weather scored as a male or female. If there were a clear advantage to one or the other in terms of what I could attract it would force the issue for me. Perhaps some people are naturally bisexual and androgynous attractive? :confused::cool:

Edited by Mrlonelyone
Perhaps you would be those things...but I am not. Looks do matter to an extent. They aren't the whole story, but they do matter.

There's no need to be uncivil.

Just to check if the website I linked to will tell anyone their about an 8.5 I choose a picture of the elephant man. One of the ugliest of uglies most deformed of deformities to ever live... scored a 4.29.

I'm not denying looks count. I'm refuting the belief that leagues exist. If we are to go with the premise of your OP, people only go for those in a similar facial symmetrical range. That's just not true. There are many other factors in attraction besides symmetry. I've listed some physical ones, but there are also intangibles as well. How well you connect with someone, how much you have in common with the person, etc. I refuse to believe that it boils down to a rating given to your face.

Aside from all that, individuals are attracted to different things. Women don't all like the same kind of man, and vice versa. We all find different things attractive in the opposite sex, both physically and otherwise.

• Author

You forgot the part of the premise of my OP where I said "All things being equal".... this is your league.

All things includes personality, socioeconoics etc etc...

The reason that looks are so powerful is that, when you first meet someone all things are equal. All you see is how they look. How many people just don't give a less attractive person a chance to speak to them? Far too many.

Can't men get above their league with charisma or wealth?

Wealth I have. I can tell you that it alone doesn't do it. I had my picture on one of those rating sites and ranked like a 3.5.

So, money can overcome physical unattractiveness, but apparently only to a point.