"Just Checking" - "Comparison shopping" as it applies to relationships...

OK, maybe goofy thread title. Mods, do your worst LOL.

I was thinking this evening of a couple of similar events - musing brought on by an episode of 'Corner Gas' (Canadian VERY funny show.) in which a girl's ex-fiancé comes to town to visit her - because he wants to get married again and wanted to ensure the old sparks were gone.

I once knew a fellow who did that before dating me. He made a trip back to visit his ex-wife and returned to tell me he wanted to be sure he was over her.

One of my friend, call her' Rezandafia', met a fellow at a party and they chatted quite a bit. They went their separate ways. He dated other women, but, as he tells it, eventually realized that after every date, he'd find himself thinking 'this date was fine, but she's not as (insert complimentary term) as 'Rezandafia''. Needless to say, he married 'Rezandafia.'

I thought all these stories were great. If a person does something like that specifically to make sure that you're the pick of the lot, then wouldn't you be pleased? Of course, the 'comparison-shopping' has to stop at some point, but it seems to me that something like this could only strengthen a relationship.

Opinions?

reasontosigh

I am still undecided on this one. Maybe fatigue is finally setting in. Or maybe I'm just more jaded than I thought.

It would indeed be a great thing, if only all stories of this sort ended just as happily as the ones you mentioned.

I would hope that it wouldn't be neccessary, honestly. It's an expression of doubt, a recognition of the possibility of weakness. I think I'd get over it pretty quickly, but I wouldn't see it as 'strengthening'.

reasontosigh

That's just it. The expression of doubt. If one was over their ex (supposedly) when they entered the current relationship, it really shouldn't be necessary. I sure don't see such a thing as "strengthening" either.

Comparison Shopping would only seem pleasing/complimentary in a "Rezendafia" type situation, where both are dating around and have come together in the end as a result of what they have learned from their experiences in the field, so to speak.