What Percentage of the Male Population...

I am wondering what percentage of the male population sleeps around* regardless of relationship status, would sleep around if they could (had the ability or the go-ahead from their partner), would sleep around if single, and wouldn't sleep around while single (or in a relationship.)

I have a perception that if given the option, the majority of men would sleep around, or they would sleep around while single. How many men would choose NOT to sleep around while single, and if so, why? (Let's add that in this magical hypothetical, you would never get STDs or get a girl pregnant.)

*I will define "sleeping around" as: sex outside of a committed monogamous relationship. Could be with one partner at a time or multiple partners during the same time period.

• Like 1

In my age group and social circle, historically, casual sex, using your definition of 'sleeping around', has been pretty common over the decades, beginning back in the 'free love' era. One blip, albeit a minor one, came during the first wave of AIDS cases when heterosexual sex was added as a potential risk factor. In general, STD's/pregnancy were dismissed as addressable by medical intervention/prevention.

I'm sure there are some academic studies which could put numbers to the dynamic but I'll leave that to the academics. I'll say, in my experience, it's pretty common, speaking as a male.

Untouchable_Fire
I am wondering what percentage of the male population sleeps around* regardless of relationship status, would sleep around if they could (had the ability or the go-ahead from their partner), would sleep around if single, and wouldn't sleep around while single (or in a relationship.)

It's really hard to say. I've seen guys that I thought for SURE would cheat on their wives and didn't when provided the opportunity. This guy in particular loves strip clubs... is always talking about what he would do with this woman or that. When an attractive lady was really putting the moves on him at a business function he intentionally shut her down. When I asked about it later he said flatly that he wouldn't disrespect his wife and kids like that.

I've also know a married guy at church that got involved with another guys wife. He is probably the last person I would expect that of.

To answer the question... probably 50-75%. I don't think that number is any different for women.

• Author

I'm mostly wondering how big of an outliner a guy is if he is single and doesn't sleep around (but has the option to.)

I think many more men and women would slut it up if you removed STDs and pregnancy out of the equation.

We are sexual creatures arent we. I would go through some fling periods, but Id would still want to wind up with a main squeeze (girlfriend lol)

I'm mostly wondering how big of an outliner a guy is if he is single and doesn't sleep around (but has the option to.)

If not an outlier, I'd opine fringe behavior, all else being equal. I think a pertinent factor would be his hormone balance and brain chemistry, along with socialization. As examples, a high-libido man socialized in 'free-love' would be less likely to have outlier behavior than a low-libido man socialized in a conservative environment, with varying levels of 'nature' and 'nurture' delineating the degrees between.

As a specific example, a 'hot' guy with a lot of options who has an intrinsically low libido and was socialized conservatively may be more likely to present outlier (to casual sex pursuit) behaviors. Just because he's 'hot' doesn't mean he's intrinsically horny and sexually promiscuous. There's a lot of factors which go into behaviors and actions.

Is that a non-answer? Perhaps. Life isn't always black and white.

• Like 3

I have a perception that if given the option, the majority of men would sleep around, or they would sleep around while single. How many men would choose NOT to sleep around while single, and if so, why? (Let's add that in this magical hypothetical, you would never get STDs or get a girl pregnant.)

*I will define "sleeping around" as: sex outside of a committed monogamous relationship. Could be with one partner at a time or multiple partners during the same time period.

Well, I'm 21 and in college. I don't sleep around. I've only had sex with 3 girls, and only one of which wasn't when I was in a relationship and I didn't enjoy it. I can say I'm pretty positive I'm in the minority, though.

Me, I wouldn't. Casual sex means nothing to me. It's like a hole in one during a practise round. Pointless, worthless, just every day, run of the mill, medoicrity. Just another brick in the wall. Not even a cheap thrill.

I certainly wouldn't due to actually having morals and honor plus I never had sex my entire life, but alot of guys and girls do it. Guys and girls sleep around today about just as much.

I think I wouldn't. I'd have to have a significant increase in options before I would ever truly be able to prove it to myself, but I believe that I am not emotionally cut out for that kind of sexual behavior. If I was, then it would probably be a different answer :laugh:.

• Like 1

I think a pertinent factor would be his hormone balance and brain chemistry, along with socialization. As examples, a high-libido man socialized in 'free-love' would be less likely to have outlier behavior than a low-libido man socialized in a conservative environment, with varying levels of 'nature' and 'nurture' delineating the degrees between.

I agree. I think people underestimate how much hormones can influence behavior.

I used to work with a lady that had to take testosterone for some medical condition that she suffered from and she said it was crazy how much it made her think about sex.

Using that definition, I think most men (and most women) "sleep around".

But I think it's a very strange and unrealistic definition. If I meet a woman, we date a few weeks and have sex, then under your definition we are "sleeping around", but I don't think either of us would describe it that way.

If you're asking how many men have promiscuous sex, then I think it's a pretty small number. And about the same number as women.

• Like 2

Of the guys I've known, very few ever did. Getting together with a woman was kind of an unusual occurrence. They were always pretty serious, responsible, well-educated guys. Not your average dickhead.

It really does bug me that people seem to that only men sleep around or have casual sex. For some reason I get the impression that women are just as guilty, if not worse.

I agree. I think people underestimate how much hormones can influence behavior.

I used to work with a lady that had to take testosterone for some medical condition that she suffered from and she said it was crazy how much it made her think about sex.

Definitely. I wonder though - how many people's emotional responses and triggers are in line with their hormones. Because for some people, a high libido and perpetual horny state can lead to promiscuity, but for that particular person it could be detrimental, male or female - so it would be better to express their powerful sexuality in a different way.

I do know a lot of people who can handle it well though without much problem mentally, emotionally and even spiritually, so I can't really give an argument against it, but I think, for myself, it would be better for me to have less casual sex.

• Like 1
It really does bug me that people seem to that only men sleep around or have casual sex. For some reason I get the impression that women are just as guilty, if not worse.

The OP is asking about men, so it's topical to discuss male promiscuity/sexual behaviors. One thing to remember is, unless those men are homosexual, they're having sex with a woman :)

• Like 4

She's asking about men, probably because she's going to be dating men. I doubt she's unaware of the fact that these guys are fooling around with women, who obviously must be fooling around themselves.

• Like 2

The number is a little more equal nowadays. I remember the days where the so-called "slags" were known, and even appreciated for being so to an extent (yes, believe it - my brother used to say "slags make the world go around"). Nowadays, some guys cannot tell - a lot of girls are either undercover about it, or engage in similar behavior and sexual patterns without realizing.

There are clear differences however, men's sex drive can sometimes lead to guys f*cking just to satiate their horniness - without control.

Girls sex drive varies as much as a man does, but typically it works slightly differently - their attraction and sexuality is piqued by particular men I've found, each different to the individual.

My husband's a monogamous, relationship guy. He could easily have slept with many, many but chose to limit himself to low numbers within relationships and not because of fear of STIs or unwanted pregnancies. Just the way he was raised, values that he consciously enforced.

Lots of respect for his values and him, as a person, his strength. :love:

Of the guys I've known, very few ever did. Getting together with a woman was kind of an unusual occurrence. They were always pretty serious, responsible, well-educated guys. Not your average dickhead.

Pretty much this.

Being single now, if a woman wasn't fulfilling my sexual needs i'd just end it & be single before I started cheating.

BehindBlueEyes

I know I wouldn't for the simple fact that I don't go searching for just any girl to be with(where she is just a girl and I'm not really in love) she has to be special..and awesome to the point she is all that matters to me...I will die lonely and single waiting for her....if that is my destiny lol.

So far it has been my destiny.....heh.

Yeah, the inability of some people to realise that not all blokes want to simply plug as many holes as possible is kind of shocking.

And yes, if guys are rooting around, then surely there are women taking part in it with em no?

Or maybe in the world of loveshack.Org it's only a bad thing when the fellas do it?

• Like 1