Looks are everything. (Amazing thread.)

Necromancer

Let´s say you are walking down the street in your neighbourhood, you see a guy who is sittng alone on a bench.

The first one is:

1. Handsome and in tuxedo.

Second:

2. Ugly,fat and badly dressed.

You will automatically think number 1. is just waiting until his super hot girlfriend/friends whatever...... come along and he would be interesting to talk to.

Number 2. on the other hand will been seen as a loser, who has no friends and has nothing better to do with his time than siting on that bench.

For all we know it could be exactly the opposite (minus the hot girlfriend.)

Number 1. will be treated well by society while....... the light ain't as bright for number 2.

Agree or Die . No shaming tactics or personal attacks, this thread as nothing to do with my own looks. It´s about how people will judge you based on them.

• Like 1

Uh...of course, it's basic surface trait theory...what's your point...?

ThaWholigan

You assume someone like me cares enough to assume that much into their character when I'm out going to do something. I'd like to think I'd be a little more creative than that when reading into someones image :laugh:.

Perceptions vary often. I would add though that many people would assume those things if they are invested in those particular theories of how people are.

• Like 1
  • Author
Necromancer
I'll choose "die". You've picked the perfect day to give me that option. Thanks!

You're welcome :eek:

Mme. Chaucer

I would be very concerned about a handsome guy sitting alone on a bench wearing a tuxedo in my neighborhood … that doesn't exactly depict a "winner" to me.

• Like 3

Well-dressed, good-looking men, can be douchebags, rapists, etc. just as easily as someone who looks more rough around the edges.

• Like 1
Mme. Chaucer

Agree or Die . No shaming tactics or personal attacks, this thread as nothing to do with my own looks. It´s about how people will judge you based on them.

Really, the only judgement I would make would be along the lines of "he's handsome" and "he's ugly." No further. Except … why is a guy sitting alone on a bench wearing a tuxedo? The fat ugly slobby guy is probably more appropriate.

• Like 4
  • Author
Necromancer

That some people will rather die, than accept reality. :bunny:

ThaWholigan
I would be very concerned about a handsome guy sitting alone on a bench wearing a tuxedo in my neighborhood … that doesn't exactly depict a "winner" to me.

That's a good point.

If I saw a guy sitting in my neighborhood with a tuxedo on and he was (ahem) "handsome", my first thought would be:

"This guy is going to get robbed immediately....."

:lmao:

Mme. Chaucer

Now that I've disagreed in the "Amazing Thread," am I doomed to death?

You're welcome :eek:

I'm still waiting for you to deliver on that promise.

Actually, I want a hot shower and some tea first, and to watch The Closer. I'm all caught up on Breaking Bad - I really know my way around a couch and a remote. My parents must be so proud.

OP, I have the solution.

Everywhere you go, wear a tuxedo. Now, everybody will treat you well.

No, a suit will do.

StrangeBehaviors

Is "Surface Trait Theory" the correct label and definition?

Another escapes me right now.

The OP may be a bit exuberant in his revelation, but it does not make him wrong.

Most don't want to admit it because of PC and conditioning, but the principle of the example stands correct. Someone attractive to anyone will be less "threatening" and more likely to be approached. Many serial killers are labeled physically attractive and even charming.

And of course, vice-versa.

Now to push some buttons, the same holds true for race. You WILL be more likely to approach strangers of like race. Statistically, this is true regardless of what others post.

Probably no epiphanies here though. :rolleyes:

ThaWholigan
I lived in South London for 13 years TW, and found that :lmao:

I can just imagine it now, sitting in Streatham, dressed in a tuxedo, surrounded by 5 teenagers like:

"yo fam, beg u gimme dat cartier watch, or manz gonna shank u up still"

"yeah fam, u better gimme dat suit too, dass my size still"

• Like 1
Mme. Chaucer
That's a good point.

If I saw a guy sitting in my neighborhood with a tuxedo on and he was (ahem) "handsome", my first thought would be:

"This guy is going to get robbed immediately....."

:lmao:

And if you were a robber, you might make the snap judgement: "I think it would be more worth my while to mug this handsome tuxedo wearing guy rather than that fat disheveled slob."

But really, the tuxedo guy might be bereft of funds and the ugly man might have pockets full of gold doubloons.

So, once again, looks prove to be everything.

Unless … the tuxedo guy also had the $$.

Or what if neither of them had any - but at least tuxedo man had the garb. You could sell it, or return it to the rental place for the deposit refund, if worst came to worst. And then, he would be a naked handsome man sitting on a bench in your neighborhood.

Would you automatically think more highly of him than of a fat ugly Members Only wearing dude on a bench right across the street?

What do you think?

Is "Surface Trait Theory" the correct label and definition?

Well, it's something I came up with and labeled. It's probably known elsewhere as something else, but it's solid.

todreaminblue
Let´s say you are walking down the street in your neighbourhood, you see a guy who is sittng alone on a bench.

The first one is:

1. Handsome and in tuxedo.

Second:

2. Ugly,fat and badly dressed.

You will automatically think number 1. is just waiting until his super hot girlfriend/friends whatever...... come along and he would be interesting to talk to.

Number 2. on the other hand will been seen as a loser, who has no friends and has nothing better to do with his time than siting on that bench.

For all we know it could be exactly the opposite (minus the hot girlfriend.)

Number 1. will be treated well by society while....... the light ain't as bright for number 2.

agree what is this ten characters ****

StrangeBehaviors
Well, it's something I came up with and labeled. It's probably known elsewhere as something else, but it's solid.

Some other standard term comes to mind that I can't recall. But that's a good enough label.

Mme. Chaucer

I've always used the term "Handsome Tuxedo-Wearing Bench Sitting Man Theory." Have I been wrong?

ThaWholigan
That some people will rather die, than accept reality. :bunny:

This assumes that everybody lives the exact same reality, or at least has the exact same perception as everybody else. At any rate, this is likely incorrect - people would like to assume that anyone who doesn't subscribe to a particular view or theory that they believe to be real is denying reality, but they cannot begin to adopt that other persons perception of reality to even predicate said other person's understanding. Similarities are always going to be separated by such differences.