Help Anyone know anything about Unemployment?

Question if your job your working at now isnt giving you hardly any hours and sending u home can u quit it and still get unemployment if your gonna be going to school for a better job. I ant quit unless i have some type of income I have a family to support.I havea chance to go to school but there goes our income while im in school which is out of state.

I wouldn't suggest quitting your job. Depending on the state (they do it here), you can collect if your hours were cut back. What they do is pay the difference to make what you were getting when you worked the full number of hours each week.

Check with the unemployment office in your state.

I do have a chance at a better job but i have to go to school for about 3 weeks without pay i need something for my family so it would be a total of about 4 weeks without a paycheck.

im from michigan and i checked with the unemployment office and they said i have to quit the job first then apply for unemployment and go from there whether or not if im denied.i dont need to very long

Not sure what to tell you then, but good luck. Hope it all works out for you.

Generally, if you quit a job you cannot collect unemployment - it depends on the reasons for quitting. Quitting because your hours were cut won't qualify you - quitting to go to school is another matter, but there are some strict rules you need to follow and you may have to have a written guarantee from an employer stating that once you complete the training and maintain a specific GPA, you are guaranteed a job, with a starting date and salary.

One of the qualifications for unemployment (this applies in every state) is that you must be actively searching for work during the time you are unemployed. There are some exceptions to this rule - one of which is that you are a full-time student - but that also has some restrictions.

Unemployment or underemployment can step in to supplement your income if your hours were cut - but the restrictions on this are astronomical - you have to be below poverty level and they will not give you the difference in what you used to make versus what you make now, but they will give you enough to raise you up to the poverty level.

chances are that even part-time you are at or above the poverty level as defined by your area. Check with your local unemployment office and find out exactly what the restrictions/regulations are. You can probably find them on the web to get more information, and then go in and talk to someone if you need to.

It's hard - but good luck, I hope you can take the classes you need to move up! I've been working in the oil patch long enough to have experienced the unemployment process several times and in several states. :(

There may be some help elsewhere though -- check with some charitable agencies in your area--maybe the United Way--they are an umbrella for all sorts of charities. Perhaps during the time you are going to school you can get some other form of aid for your family.