Advice needed!!

Hi-

I dated this guy for 1 year and 3 months. We were pretty serious and discussed marriage. About 6 months ago, he broke up with me. His reason was that he wasn't sure if I was the one for him. I told him that I couldn't be his friend, because it would be too hard for me. We had no contact for a while (~approx a week). One night we started talking and ever since then he has been calling me almost every day just to talk or to ask me if I want to do something. He says that he still loves me and he doesn't want me to exit his life.

However, around Christmas, he told me that when he is with me, he doesn't care if he finds someone else or not. So he suggested we have no more contact with eachother so he could move on. I agreed. 4 days later he calls me and tells me that he missed me and asks if I'd want to do something. We've had continuous contact almost every day since.

If he doesn't want to be with me, then why does he try so hard to keep me close to him as friends? I don't know whether I should leave him alone and forget about him and move on or if I should continue being friends with him and not give up on us.

If he doesn't want to be with me, then why does he try so hard to keep me close to him as friends?

You're the security blanket, in case the other girls don't come through for him.

It's your choice whether to continue being his yoyo/backup/blanket girl. Please be aware that if he does find someone else who trips his trigger reliably, he'll probably stop tugging your string for extended periods or maybe forever.

For myself, I would say no to this kind of life.