Gf Morals Vs My Morals

OK, so one night me and my gf were talking about sex. I believe that sex should be waited til marriage though sometimes I do think about it, but wouldn't engage in the act. As with my girlfriend she has had sex, but she is willing too experiment and try out things. So I told her I couldn't do that to her because I care about her. So then she throws this quote at me which I don't know what it means :

"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. So aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something. ."

I don't know how that fits in there but I'm just clueless!

Any who! I'm a christian and she says she a catholic, but when I tell her I like her name which means " like God" she says she hates it and she disagrees with her religion. o.O Makes me wonder sometimes she is confused.

What do you guys think about what that quote means and her viewpoint ?

Edited by lightx
Philosoraptor

Might I ask your age? You sound rather young and it sounds like she is doing normal rebellion.

In the end follow what you think is right and don't let anyone change your mind about your own beliefs.

• Author

Well I am 25 and she is 22....

See the thing is I don't want her or other women thinking I am out for one thing and that is sex. I want to respect or any other woman alone.

I don't know if that makes sense to you, but pretty much all I hear is women saying how Men only think about Sex sex in relationships. How they want a loving and caring man to be there for there for them etc..

i'm I missing something ?

Philosoraptor

To each their own my friend. I don't think being intimate with your partner means you don't respect them. I've never done anything with anyone I didn't have a relationship with and I certainly don't think I am not loving, caring, or there for them.

These things are not polar oppsities, you can be everything.

"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. So aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something. ."

I don't know how that fits in there but I'm just clueless!

Any who! I'm a christian and she says she a catholic, but when I tell her I like her name which means " like God" she says she hates it and she disagrees with her religion. o.O Makes me wonder sometimes she is confused.

What do you guys think about what that quote means and her viewpoint ?

At first glance, the quote indicates some level of disdain for morality. I would want to know what the person who said it understood morality to mean. Do they think of it as a code that they have been told to live by unquestioningly (and I tend to think religion asks that of its followers)...or do they think of it as a set of ethics that they build throughout life with reference to academic, religious or social guidance that makes sense in light of their own experiences?

See the thing is I don't want her or other women thinking I am out for one thing

and that is sex. I want to respect or any other woman alone.

I don't know

if that makes sense to you, but pretty much all I hear is women saying how Men

only think about Sex sex in relationships. How they want a loving and caring man

to be there for there for them etc..

Do you think you would lose respect for a woman as a result of having sex with her? Would it make a difference if you were married to her...and if so, why?