Professor and Student

chic_random

I am a 27 year old nontraditional undergrad student at a good university (top 10 in nation). I am also a RA for one of the PhD students at the Uni lab. So with work, internship and classes I was pretty busy. I have also had a life full of adversity (one parent died when I was young; another I had to look after b/c of her cancer, foster care, issues with siblings, etc.), basically I am poster child for socially awkward. I never really had time to notice things around me up until now.

Anyways, so it is a summer class and because it was right after graduation I was in a fairly relaxed mood. I remember the first day of class when I walked in (straight from work and barely made it in time due to traffic) When I noticed him looking at me, too kill the nervousness, I just casually said, “Hey how is it going?” to him. He replied pretty good and you…and I was looking for a seat and so I said, “currently trying to figure out where I am going to sit because….” Before I could finish my sentence he said, “You will be sitting there for rest of the semester,” and that’s when I just looked up at him. He was smiling, and handing me the syllabus– not looking at me. My first thoughts were, “he is cute – shut up!”

Then…. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. First day my cell phone went off in class (I had family in town nieces and nephews were playing with the phone). This has never happened before, so I was very embarrassed. Then 2nd day I had to drop off family at the airport and flight got delayed and we had issues so I almost was late to class (I was thinking I'll be late, so I mailed him in advance.) Then 3rd day I had a flat tire. 4th day I had a major crazy meeting at work that just killed me for our midterm (I still managed to get 90; which I could have gotten 97 in… b/c I had not slept for days and worked hard on, but he is a tough grader.

So the first day of the class he asked us to introduce ourselves. I never really talk much about myself and keep it simple. I said I just graduated and he immediately said, me too, but with PhD. Then I said I am an RA. He asked about how long I have been at that lab. I told him almost going to be a year now and I intend to stay for another research project for the principal investigator (PI) also PhD student. Turned out despite being in another program he had helped at our lab and is practically bff’s with that (PI) PhD student at the lab! He asked about my other classes and professors and that’s when I recall he stood very close to me when I was trying to remember something so I was looking up (trying to think hard like a typical nerd) and that’s when I looked at him really staring at me like trying to figure me out and I think I just blushed and stepped back. Then in elevator we talked and he asked all these questions about where I lived and how long it took me and why my field of choice and where I parked my car, etc. I kept it pretty vague for I usually don’t think people are interested in learning about my leukemia or my mom’s breast cancer or dad’s death and my adoption by brother, etc. Then we went our separate ways. Honestly, I didn’t think anything of it.

Oh by the way…I did graduate this June, but decided to take another upper level class (because I wanted to challenge myself before going to grad school next year). The PI took me out for lunch after graduation and started telling me about him and what his favorite was from that menu. And I just choked and changed the subject??

2nd class and 3rd class and 4th class… oh by the way he joked in all these classes. He used references (or so I think) like first class he joked about finding favorite seat. Second class he joked about team (my fav baseball team) teasingly about how they suck and I just laughed and gave him “heyyy” look (I was wearing their cap. Later I learned that’s also his favorite team :p). 3rd class he teased about flat tires happening…and I just laughed embarrassed. 4th class day I was very tired and I was really dressed up for our office meeting (audit visit) and I had found him really staring at me during lecture so I just couldn’t handle it (I now get tongue tied in front of him.)

Then next day I had to go to lab (on my day offs I work at the lab). The PI sometimes likes to have working lunch. So I got a text from her to come sit with her and this TA. So I went…The talk was all about him… what he likes to do and how his birthday is coming up soon and when is he finding this special girl (the PI is happily married with kid) About how this suitor girl he liked was out of his reach b/c of her childhood issues and he was okay with it (honestly that's when I really started listening :D). It was an hour and a half long chat and honestly I didn’t participate, but I did tease him a lot with come backs. Our sense of humor is literally the same sarcastic but not offensive and sometimes self-deprecating. It wasn’t like me but I just liked him and the PI was very sweet for helping out with keeping the conversation going. I couldn’t look at him in the eyes (I was very shy about that) after we got done talking he had this special smile… I don’t know how to explain it, but I told myself oh he is just being friendly…. b/c we are so close to age.

Anyways then next class he handed us the midterm and kept looking at me in the eyes and smiling …he has this radiant smile. I have never noticed it on anyone or him talking to anyone else.

I am aware this could be misconstrued; there is a high likelihood for this being misconstrued. We do talk after class about non class topics. There is a part of me that thinks there is attraction and a part that thinks he just sees me as a peer b/c of my connection to the PI. Sorry about this long daunting post :S hopefully you guys can help; One more week of this class (our final this week). I am nervous, happy, and scared; for I don’t want to harm his future …at all.

Thank you for reading this all.

Edited by chic_random

i read all your post but im not sure what your asking, assuming its weather he likes you or not, well youve chatted to him enough to ask him out sometime youll prop have to do it since im not sure how hed feel about asking out a student, just ask for a coffee? its perfectly innoccent regardless but he might get the idea.

just thought somebody hould reply to this, but honestly im probably not the best source.