Let's talk about motorcyles baby!!!

Lauriebell82

Alright so a few years ago I posted a thread about how "outraged" I was that my husband (then boyfriend) spent thousands of dollars on a motorcycle right before he proposed to me. At the time I thought motorcyles were absolutely AWFUL. Fast forward to now, I ride on the back on my husband's motorcyle all the time and love it!!!

Do any of you loveshackers have a motorcyle or enjoy riding one? What kind do you have?

Yay! I just got my license and I will probably be buying one this week. Single = buying cool stuff for me.

A topic very close to my heart. I actually returned an engagement ring and brought a motorcycle a year and a half ago. Best decision I ever made. I then got into motorcycle vblogging and as a result it's now got me heading over to Taiwan in August to go on a motorcycle tour with a bunch of other internationals.

Oh yeah I currently ride a ZZR250, but on return I'm grabbing a Hyosung GT650R.

azsinglegal

I ride both dirt and street. Used to have a DR350 and a ZRX 1200 - both of which I lost in a break up...but I'll start riding again soon. I've only been without a bike for a year and half but it feels like forever.

I'm a rider, not a biker. There's a difference.

• Author
Lauriebell82

My husband has a Honda Shadow with red flames, it's the coolest bike! I have so much fun on it also! We went for a long bike ride yesterday and it was the greatest experience, the longest I've ever been on with him!

It's funny though, my husband is an accountant and the most "straight laced" guy in the whole world. You would NEVER think the guy would ever be caught dead riding a motorcycle! He looks good on a bike though, let me tell you. :love:

I can relate! I was totally against motorbikes and saw them as quite redneck. My bf decided to sell his car and buy a motorbike instead to save money - I bit my tongue and tried to support him as I thought it was financially a good decision.

On my first ride I HATED it. I was so terrified. But little by little, he's been taking me on longer trips and 2 weeks in - I LOVE IT!! Its such a freeing feeling, being on the back of his bike with the wind in my hair. Its fascinating how much more I notice on the bike - I'd go past the same places in the car and now I see completely new things. It's like being part of your surroundings. So much fun. :D

The only thing that annoys me is not being able to chat freely with my bf while we're riding - however he said there's some kind of microphone system we can get for that? Anyone heard of this?

Feelin Frisky

After a serious collision I had when I hit a wall going about 35 miles an hour on roller skates where I broke my forearm into a 90 degree angle, I swore off risky things that might result in that kind of calamitous injury. I like the idea of motorcycles but not enough to commit to one. Enjoy but please be safe.

At 20 years old, I got a new red Honda 360 motorcycle. That was my vehicle to ride, and I took it everywhere. To school, to errands. It was pretty cool, got great gas miliage, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a car. After a year, we sold it and bought a second car instead. Can't ride a motorcycle in the dead of winter, so it wasn't very practical, but a lot of fun while we had it. Someday, I'd like to rent a motorcycle and go on a cross country trip from the West coast to the East coast. It's on my list of things to do. :)

The only thing that annoys me is not being able to chat freely with my bf while we're riding - however he said there's some kind of microphone system we can get for that? Anyone heard of this?

Jump on ebay you'll find a heap of different ones, just type motorbike microphone. You'll find both wired and wireless version. Also check up on reviews and see how they fair with noise cancelling....you've got the wind in your face so wind noise around the helmet can make it a bit hard to hear at times. Well worth checking out though.

azsinglegal

It's called a "chatter box" they install into your helmets.

And if you're not wearing a helmet...you shouldn't be on a bike.

• Author
Lauriebell82
I can relate! I was totally against motorbikes and saw them as quite redneck. My bf decided to sell his car and buy a motorbike instead to save money - I bit my tongue and tried to support him as I thought it was financially a good decision.

On my first ride I HATED it. I was so terrified. But little by little, he's been taking me on longer trips and 2 weeks in - I LOVE IT!! Its such a freeing feeling, being on the back of his bike with the wind in my hair. Its fascinating how much more I notice on the bike - I'd go past the same places in the car and now I see completely new things. It's like being part of your surroundings. So much fun. :D

Do you wear a helmet? Female helmets are REALLY expensive, so I bought a men's helmet in a size small and it fits perfectly. I really love it! It was like $90. Definately get a helmet if you don't already wear one, it's very unsafe without one!!!

My uncle willed me his Harley Fatbob. I have it in my garage and only take out on rides when the conditions are good.

I used to love going cruising on my uncle's motorcycle with him. Sadly, that ended since he is no longer with us.

I'd like a motorcycle myself someday...I just don't have the money for it right now or the time to really master it.

azsinglegal
Do you wear a helmet? Female helmets are REALLY expensive, so I bought a men's helmet in a size small and it fits perfectly. I really love it! It was like $90. Definately get a helmet if you don't already wear one, it's very unsafe without one!!!

What's a "female helmet"?

I have three and they're all based on the brand/size I bought. They don't make helmets based on gender, unless you mean the designs on them?

Every brand of helmet is a different shape on the inside as well as the style. HJC are generally more oval shape while KBC and Scorpion are more round inside. I can't wear Shoei even tho they're round inside, the small is too big as my head is an odd shape. I absolutely love Arai helmets but they're pretty expensive. I was searching for one a couple of years ago and discovered each model is a different shape inside so you really have to go and try them on to find the best fit.

Scorpion makes one that you can "pump" to fit your head, but my fear is if i get in a wreck they won't be able to figure out how to get it off of me. I have a Scorpion EXO700 now and I love it. Needs a new face shield tho. A few HJC/Scorpion make ones with the a sunglass shield that comes down so you don't have to wear glasses or worry about glare.

I've also found that modular helmets are much heavier and as much as I wanted one, it was too much on my shoulders to carry.

Sorry...I've done a lot of research and trial/error on helmets to find the exact one I wanted. Took me 6 months and a lot of shopping. :D

been riding for 31 years. been over three quarters of the united states. plus some of mexico, of course that was before all the drug violence. until that gets fixed, it's curbed my plans to ride to south america some day. have had one triumph, and the rest all harleys

Been riding my own bike for 6 years been on bikes for 10 years. I have no bigger interest than motorcycling. I started on an Aprilia RS 50 but quickley sold it and bought a twist 'n' twat because the RS 50's are gutless compared to some of these modern scooters then i got myself a suzuki marauder gz125 which was an amazing bike. I sold that to get a Suzuki RGV500 which i painted up to look like barry sheene's bike and i sold that 2 years ago and bought a Triumph Daytona. I sold that a year ago and bought the bike I'm currently riding which is a Suzuki TL1000 and I'm currently building a triumph bonneville chop.

I love it when you stop next to a girl and you can tell that they are looking at you because you're a biker haha. Also what's with the lack of let ons recently. Every biker used to let on to each other as they rode past each other but barely anyone does anymore.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Been riding my own bike for 6 years been on bikes for 10 years. I have no bigger interest than motorcycling. I started on an Aprilia RS 50 but quickley sold it and bought a twist 'n' twat because the RS 50's are gutless compared to some of these modern scooters then i got myself a suzuki marauder gz125 which was an amazing bike. I sold that to get a Suzuki RGV500 which i painted up to look like barry sheene's bike and i sold that 2 years ago and bought a Triumph Daytona. I sold that a year ago and bought the bike I'm currently riding which is a Suzuki TL1000 and I'm currently building a triumph bonneville chop.

I love it when you stop next to a girl and you can tell that they are looking at you because you're a biker haha. Also what's with the lack of let ons recently. Every biker used to let on to each other as they rode past each other but barely anyone does anymore.

What is a let on? When they do the wave thingy? When my husband and I ride, he always waves to them and they wave back. That's one of my favorites things about riding is seeing people wave!

Picking up my first motorcycle on Saturday! Quite excited. :)

Be careful, the vast majority of accidents occur in the first 1000 miles. Ride a lot and very very cautiously for a few thousand; don't get over confident.

Enjoy the ride.

climbergirl

I used to feel how you felt, LB...hated motorcycles. Met my fiance (will be my husband in just over two weeks!:love:) and we rode his motorcycle on our first date and I loooove riding with him. We will be going on a rode trip (Aprilia 650 Pegaso) for our honeymoon.

He used to race motocross, so he has a collection of Aprilia's---two of which are perched on tables in our living room. Sounds weird, but looks cool.

I've wondered why the change of opinion about motorcycles. Other boyfriends have had bikes and I rode on those, but didn't enjoy it like I do now. I think trusting the person who is operating it plays a huge part. ??

What is a let on? When they do the wave thingy? When my husband and I ride, he always waves to them and they wave back. That's one of my favorites things about riding is seeing people wave!

Yeah a let on is a wave or a nod to other riders. But where i live barely anyone acknowledges other riders anymore. For instance i was riding around today and stopped at some traffic lights, next to me was a bloke on a triumph and i nodded to him and he looked at me like i'd just swore at him haha. maybe it's just in my area.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Yeah a let on is a wave or a nod to other riders. But where i live barely anyone acknowledges other riders anymore. For instance i was riding around today and stopped at some traffic lights, next to me was a bloke on a triumph and i nodded to him and he looked at me like i'd just swore at him haha. maybe it's just in my area.

Wow, yeah it must be your area. Everytime I ride with my husband he always waves to people on bikes and they wave to him.