Does being an only child have much impact on how people handle adult relationships?

Hello, I am just interested in people's views on whether or not being an only child has much impact on people and they way they live their adult life and handle being in close, longterm relationships.

I am an only child and find it has probably helped me in some ways and made things tougher in other ways.

For example, I am very comfortable with my own company, self sufficient, independent and an achiever. I think these things were cultivated in me while I was growing up, without siblings, and with a loving and supportive family giving me constant encouragement and attention.

At the same time, I am very sensitive to criticism, I dont handle sarcasm or jokey teasing well on occassions, and I am sometimes challenged when other people's opinions (in those close to me) vary a lot from mine. Perhaps I did not get used to dealing with other people around me thinking differently when I was younger, and I certainly didn't have any siblings to fight with and toughen me up! My bf is the eldest of three, and he handles jokey criticism and differences of opinion much better than I do!

I also have an unusually close bond with my parents. That bond is wonderful, but can make it difficult to draw the line on certain issues and means I still want to have their approval (something I have learned to live without when I have to). Also, as I am the only one, more responsibilities fall on my shoulders. This too, can impact my relationship, as I am juggling different areas

Of course, some of these things could have nothing to do with birth order, or being an only child...but I am just

wondering what other people's experiences are ?

i am also the only child, and i thought "ditto" to most of the things you listed above - coincidence or pattern? i think pattern.

-yes

I, too, am an only. I am similar to you in some ways, but not all. There has been a lot of research on birth order and there are a bunch of books out there. Just go to 'Google' and type in 'birth order' and you'll find plenty to read which will answer many of your questions.

ThisGirlNameKD

I know quite a few only childs that act just the way you do. Like Moimeme say, there's some good books and information about birth order available these days, so they may be useful to you.