life and the surprises that come with it

I'm originally from a small town where it was easy to identify yourself by everyone else's expectations, but happily, I learned that in "real life," you got to become the person you were meant to become, and not forced to live up to the label you were given in grade school.

So now I'm curious: has anyone else on the board been surprised to learn or discover what they have about themselves (or others) after leaving school?

I guess I'm wondering about this more and more lately as my 20-year high school class reunion looms closer. I can't decide if I actually want to see these people again, because I'm really not who they thought I was growing up. LOL, I guess that on the other hand, they're not either ...

Any thoughts?

When I was in school, I was very shy and reserved. Sure, my friends and I had laugh-filled good times but I was much more an observer in public situations. Two wonderful things happened to me: I was loved for exactly who I was by someone I greatly admired when I never expected such a thing. That proved to me that I didn't have to be a beauty or wildly voluptuous or any of those things to be worthy of love. That was a fantastic gift.

Then, I had occasion to leave town and get into a brand new situation where nobody knew me. I decided I didn't need to appear reserved since nobody would be expecting that of me. I had a terrific time and made one friend I still have to this day. Both these situations were life-changing events. In the intervening years, I got braces as an adult (we couldn't afford them when I was a kid), grew curls and more figure, and found that the friendlier I was to people, the better the response I got back. I am now quite the friendly outgoing sort. I suspect many of them wouldn't recognize my much-less reserved self now.

Well we all change and grow (most of us do anyway, which is a good thing). I would be proud of the person you have become and go to the reunion, even just out of curiosity.

I have changed since school, and become open to a lot more ideas on how to live, instead of the more career oriented box I initially lived in. Some of my old friends may think I am a bit alternate compared to them, but they accept me for who I am, just as I accept who they have become.

My partner says he has also changed a lot. I don't think he and I would have had much in common when we were back in school, however we have grown into similar people.