Being a smart*ss or genuinely want to ....

Do you find that some people online love to sort of brag about what worked for them and how well they did in overcoming a situation? I was on this self development forum and I was talking about how people feel about their social life, if it is dead, why and what they were doing about it. I mean, I can tell from someone who sincerely wants to relate their life transformation and encourage an individual but its a totally different picture when one is putting you down despite your efforts.

I feel that generally people are nice, and encouraging. But I also feel that in every forum, there are bound to be some 'smart asses' or wise-as*es. Especially those who have had some or much success with personal development. I find that when one is genuinely seeking advice, someone high and mighty would come in and say things which hurt the person asking like "Look, I did this and it worked. As long as you didn't do it the way I did, you suck and no wonder you reap no results."

It's one thing to be confident, but another to be completely full of yourself.

It's almost as if they want to show off and they are almost always sarcastic if you are actually making effort but not seeing results.

I was on this post on another forum and was talking about social skills. And I saw that some guys bragged about how girls throw themselves at their feet after learning how to change their social skills over time. Another guy also said "Oh I go for salsa class and now girls just wanna dance with me without me asking." "Just because you made effort doesn't mean you're doing it right."

And he stopped there. No suggestions, no nothing.

Do you think it's a good to even seek advice online? With all these people who know nothing about you?

Edited by orangelady
silvermane187

The internet tends to bring out the worst in people. At the same time there are lots of helpful people and resources that wouldn't be available elsewhere. It's a simple matter of ignoring the trolls and dickheads while focusing on the helpful advice and friendly people. That's just the way the world works.