Girlfriend isn't happy; underlying issues or...?!

Been together 6 months, living together 2 months, and she dropped the bombshell on me last night that she isn't happy.

Said it's because she feels she isn't good enough for me, that because we live in a big house she feels she doesn't deserve it, because when my mum came over last and gave a few cleaning tips that she's failing to keep the house up together, saying that she's lazy and doesn't care about the house etc etc, and that she wants to go on a break for a month or so to sort herself out, get a job and whatever else.

Reckon it's just a front for something else? Seems very odd that she feels this way but I know she has issues thinking she constantly has to live up to my mum and be the perfect housewife - I've never implied I want this, nor have I ever complained about anything she's done for me (she is awesome!) but I do possibly take it for granted since I currently work 2 jobs 50+ hours a week and she's temporarily out of work.

She was very cold this morning, she's going back to stay with her parents this weekend and I'm not sure what the hell is going on - any girls care to give me some insight as to whether this seems like it's actually the problem, or if it's likely to be a front for another issue?!

Thanks

She dropped the bombshell on you and doesn't even want to talk to you to discuss how you can both fix this??

Either she has some severe communication problems or there's something else going on there.

Did YOU try to talk to her about it?

• Author

Yeah I did - but I didn't know it was an issue before last night.

To be fair I did make one potentially (very) dodgy comment yesterday since my nan is coming to see my new place, and I said "I'm going to have a quick go with the hover tomorrow night, mum said about me (note the emphasis on me!) keeping the house a bit tidier!" which I shouldn't have done - but my mum only mentioned it because both of my parents spent every weekend for around 6 months helping to completely renovate the house, and it's a shame for both me and them to see it not being kept tidy, especially since my girlfriend doesn't work, you know?

I didn't think that was the sort of comment that'd make someone want to go on a break though, especially since I actually intend on doing these things myself now and wasn't having a go at her, maybe I'm just stupid/naive.

OP-- I have to say that I have been with women like this too. It sounds like there is an underlying problem that has nothing to do with you.

You have only been together for 6 months, so you probably don't know her as well as you think. She may have some serious insecurity issues or distorted thinking patterns.

In a case like this all you can do is the best you know how. Treat her well and let the chips fall where they may.

• Author

Thanks Life. It'll sound terrible but the more it goes on the more I'm just starting to feel quite dejected about the whole thing. She had a period of being super stressed and constantly getting moody or actually very angry with me, I just accepted the fact she had a lot going on and tried to be supportive as possible until we got through it.

Then, for less than a week, once those things were resolved she actually seemed really happy and bubbly again, back to her old self, and then she springs this on me and now she's just incredibly cold, one word answers, doesn't want to know, not replying to my texts etc etc

It's just one thing after another and to act like this other somethnig I'd regard to be quite trivial, ah....