Text message etiquette...

Hey guys,

I was casually seeing a guy about 6 months ago but we both got busy and kinda lost contact (ok, he stopped calling). Well I saw him out a few weeks ago and although we didn't have time to chat, we exchanged numbers again. I didn't expect to hear from him but he has been sending me quite a few text messages, and tried to call once last week. I was stoked (if a little cautious).

I am all screwed up as to how to play this - it is a fine line between showing interest and appearing desperate sometimes, so I am erring on the side of caution and only responding to his messages when he asks a question. Well he sent a message last night wishing me well in my exams. I wanted to write back but decided not to. It is now the day after and I am wondering whether this was rude? Should I have at least said 'thanks'? Would sending a message over the weekend be okay? What if I don't send any messages at all until he contacts me again... will this make him want to chase me, or give up entirely??

I know this might seem trivial but come on, I'm on my study break so overanalysing this stuff is my only outlet! Thanks for any consideration.

Thanks,

SallyQ

It's always kind and good manners to acknowledge somebody's well wishes. On the other hand, it is not rude to ignore instant messages if they are unsolicited and an invasion of your privacy. You should have them turned off, however, or have certain users blocked if you don't want to receive them. It would have been much nicer to have thanked him for his good wishes.

Very often men get excited about seeing a lady for the first few times and then get distracted by other women or events in their lives and stop calling. Later on, they realize what they had and try to reconnect. I don't think that's such a bad thing. There's no sense in somebody you've only known and dated a short time calling you and formally telling you he won't be calling anymore. It's something you just get used to. His renewed interest may mean he's going to do the same again...but, even more likely, it may mean he now realizes he should have pursued you. Don't play games with him. Either be flattered by his advances or don't take his calls and IMs.