timely story on living together

we've seen numerous posts on the issue of living together, now MSN has a story on how to protect partners' best interests should they decide to forego marriage and just live together. I think this will help folks focus on those things they tend not to think about, like health issues, money, joint ownership of material goods, etc.

http://women.msn.com/48212.armx

HokeyReligions

Thanks for posting the link. The articles are interesting. I think they are a must read for couples even if they are not thinking about living together right now.

Sheesh! It can get really complicated. I'm glad I'm married and poor! :p

Great link Quankanne!

Another great resource is a publication entitled Living Together: A Legal Guide for Unmarried Couples. It includes articles on owning property together, sharing income, raising children, making medical decisions, creating estate plans, taxes, and how to prepare in the event of separation.

"J" purchased it when we were trying to figure out our own real-estate and financial situations. I was absolutely amazed at some of the things unmarried couples were legally permitted to do!

Although we don't like thinking about the financial aspects of our romantic relationships, it can not and should not be avoided!

• Author

I often wondered how a couple living together handled all those issues that are pretty much brought to the forefront when you're married: property ownership, legal issues, health issues, even issues dealing with offspring (like legal guardianship or visitation arrangements). I think that when two people decide to move in together because they're so in love and can't stay away from each other, or because they want to save money, these things are the last ones on their minds. And this is a great tool for addressing these issues, because knowledge is power.