The Meaning of "Hook-Up"???

First, please read this excerpt from a post put up today: "My b/f of a year is trying to control and manipulate me by not letting me maintain friendships w/ a close group of guys (they are in a rock band) that I've been friends w/ for a lot longer than he's been around. Solely because on a few drunken nights on different occasions, i hooked up w/ a few of them(seperately), no serious relationships or anything, just a couple of flings. In fact I'm closest friends w/ one of the guys that I've never hooked up with..." To read the post in it's entirety, see the opening post in this thread ---> http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t23853/

From the above, would you feel:

A) She has had sexual intercourse with some of her band member friends when her boyfriend was drunk.

B) She spent some time with some of her friends on some nights when her boyfriend got drunk.

C) She had sex of some sort with them.

D) She had sex with them separately when her boyfriend was drunk but no serious relationship ensured.

E) She has one band member friend with whom she has not had sexual intercourse but she's thinking about it..

F) She has one friend she has never been with intimately but with whom she will have sexual intercourse the next time her boyfriend get drunk.

G) She likes to make plans with or go out with different friends and have fun during the times her boyfriend is drunk.

H) None of the above

I) All of the above

J) Some of the above

Could somebody please tell me what the most commonly used street meaning of "hooked up" is because it's used a lot on this forum and sometimes it looks like it means sexual intercourse, sometimes other kinds of sex, sometimes a date, sometimes getting together as friends, sometimes just talking on the phone, and sometimes locking up analy???

Thank you in advance for your help on this.

Starlight43

i think the meaning of hookup is ..a little more than kissing and everything beyond that.

• Author

YOU WRITE: "i think the meaning of hookup is ..a little more than kissing and everything beyond that."

So, in your opinion, has this woman had sex with these band members...or does she just a little more than kiss them when her boyfriend is drunk...or does she see which one of them wants to go the farthest on those nights when her boyfriend is drunk??? Or does she perhaps select one of them to hook up with and see just how far the hooking up will take her?

Tony I think you are a little obssessed with that girls post. Don't let people irritate so easily. Obviously she has done some shady things but that doesn't mean she is a terrible person who we should condemn. I think she is saying that there has been a couple occasions when she got drunk and has had sex with a band member.

As for your question, its a very good one. Hooking up is when you have sex. Some people lie to themselves or they want to make themselves look good in your eyes and tell you yeah I hooked up with so and so girl and if you asked them what they mean by hooking up they say that they just kissed or something. Hooking up is having sex, not even oral sex, sex where penetration is involved!

• Author

Sorry, not obsessed at all with any post. Just really, really, really want to know what this "hook-up" thing means. It is used often here on this forum and differently everytime so it's very difficult to determine exactly what each person did in the act of "hooking up."

This is just a continuing education thing, not an obsession....but thanks anyway!!!

Tony --

I think she was referring to "hooking up" when SHE was drunk.

To me, "hooked up" means anything from a kiss to sex. But in this case, it sounds like sex to me, because there was no disclaimer attached. (i.e. "We hooked up, but didn't have sex.")

• Author

jalexie WRITES: "i thought sex, but who really knows"

Precisely. Who really knows? If nobody knows for sure, how are we supposed to answer posts accurately? Why can't people just say they screwed if they screwed or met somebody to hang out if that's what they did. This "hooked-up" mumbo jumbo is just not something that is easily understood.

Hook up in the way it was used in my earlier post meant 2 actual instances of intercourse and 2 making out== kissing heavily, touching all over above clothes.....Hooking up can be anything from kissing on up....it's a very vague term I agree, maybe intentionally so women don't feel so insecure about their sexual activity w/ men.

You know, I once left the phone "off the hook".... it made this really offensive loud noise in response too.... but I think it's unrelated. :bunny:

• Author

Well, when people write posts and say they "hooked-up" with somebody, it would make a hell of a lot of difference in my advice if I knew if they had had sexual intercourse, oral sex, a fun time at the bowling alley, met for a few drinks at the pub, or just put the phone back on the receiver.

There's a lot of difference. This "hooking up" verbage is way too vague and general for me.

It is my understanding that 'hook-up' is supposed to mean 'have sex'. Doubtless, though, people who don't know that use 'hook-up' to mean other stuff. Anyway, rather than rant about it, why not just ask the poster to be more specific? It's not as though there will ever be a general rule about this that everyone will adhere to anyway.

• Author

MOIMEME WRITES: "Anyway, rather than rant about it, why not just ask the poster to be more specific?"

Actually, rather than rant about it, I would prefer to go watch a skin flick!!! Thanks for reminding me I have alternatives.