How to deal with boyfriend's mother saying nasty things to me

BubbleFreak

My boyfriend and I have been going out over 4 years and I have known his mother is a bitch towards her own direct family (nice to other people), but lately she has started being a bitch to me too.

She invited me over to the grandmother's house (without the grandmother even knowing I was going) and then at the dinner table started saying aweful things like how she thinks I'm fat. When my boyfriend's lovely grandmother asked if I wanted some clothes before she donated them, my boyfriend's mother said no way those clothes would be 10 times too small for me...

My boyfriend's mother is overweight/obese, and I am in the normal weight range. The only thing I can think of is that I came back from a recent holiday with a few extra kilos, but I am still not fat. Why the need for the put downs?

My boyfriend told me his mum is probably jealous, but don't know what of exactly (though I can think of a few things), and that if I tell her how I feel she would use it as leverage to insult me some more. Anyways, I think she owes me an apology.

What should I do? What's up with her behaviour?

• Author
BubbleFreak

I should also note that I did something really bad.. This morning I was still so angry at her remarks I made a whole bunch of delicious chocolate cupcakes and then gave them to my boyfriend. And I said if his mum wanted some, tell her I said no, because she is too fat. I know it was wrong of me, but it felt so good at the time.

RedDevil66

simple, don't go see her? Why would you accept abuse?

Create a boundary and don't see her. Tell your BF, unless she can be kind, you're out of her life.

If you chose to still see her, ask her right out "Your comments are not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Apologize or I'm leaving"

I'm in my mid 40's and learned not to take sh*t. Don't take other people cr*p

RedDevil66
I should also note that I did something really bad.. This morning I was still so angry at her remarks I made a whole bunch of delicious chocolate cupcakes and then gave them to my boyfriend. And I said if his mum wanted some, tell her I said no, because she is too fat. I know it was wrong of me, but it felt so good at the time.

yeah, childish! Don't play her game or you deserve her comments.

Be the better/bigger person and just don't associate with her

• Author
BubbleFreak

That would be the simplest thing to simply stop associating with such a devil bitch, but if my boyfriend and I get married (we have talked about marriage many times) I will have to maintain some sort of relationship with this woman because of grandchildren.

Even though my boyfriend told me that telling her how I feel probably will not help (he would know since he has put up with her crap all his life) I might do it anyway.

I don't want to stoop to her level of communication again, even though I already did this morning.

• Author
BubbleFreak

Well, turns out my boyfriend had not yet told his mother "you can't eat the cupcakes because you are too fat" remark from me. I just told him not to say it after all because I now realise I am a better person than that. I don't like to go around telling people I think they are fat, like what she said to me.

• Author
BubbleFreak

Well what do you know... she just called me and attempted an apology. I accepted it.