Torn between two men

The father of my child was not present the first six years of her life. We got together the first time for 7 months and ended it. This time we have been together for almost a year. The father is an alcoholic. Lately his drinking has hurt me and my child. I had a friend in fifth grade (S) that was truly there for me years ago when I was being abused by my stepdad, well my stepdad stopped the friendship. S was so hurt and couldn't understand why we couldn't be friends. Well S recently fopund me again after all these years, and yet I am going through another trial in my life. S has been a real friend, and we connect so well. S has never hurt me, but only tried to help me. The father of my child has hurt me and my child. I packed all of his things, and asked him to leave. He wants me to give him 1 month, he says he will change. I dont know if that will happen. I feel like I will miss out on something good with S if I dont choose soon. Please help me I am so confused as I have my child to think about too.

The father of my child was not present the first six years of her life. We got together the first time for 7 months and ended it. This time we have been together for almost a year. The father is an alcoholic. Lately his drinking has hurt me and my child. I had a friend in fifth grade (S) that was truly there for me years ago when I was being abused by my stepdad, well my stepdad stopped the friendship. S was so hurt and couldn't understand why we couldn't be friends. Well S recently fopund me again after all these years, and yet I am going through another trial in my life. S has been a real friend, and we connect so well. S has never hurt me, but only tried to help me. The father of my child has hurt me and my child. I packed all of his things, and asked him to leave. He wants me to give him 1 month, he says he will change. I dont know if that will happen. I feel like I will miss out on something good with S if I dont choose soon. Please help me I am so confused as I have my child to think about too.

I can understand why you gave the father a chance to step up to the plate because he is the father, but... at the same time, people DO NOT CHANGE.

Are you really torn between 2 men? Come on. Obviously, S is on your mind and you want to explore a relationship with him.

The best thing for you to do would be to cut your losses with the alcoholic father and DATE S... really get to know him before playing house. You have a child to consider.

• Author

Yes I felt it was right to give the father of my child a chance. The truth is I am not happy with the way things are, and have been going. I do need to end this relationship, go on with my schooling to better things for my child and I. I am not the type to play house, my child comes first. I am just a little afraid to leave because of the fathers temper, but I know it is what I must do.