too many words? a bad thing?

Hey all. If your SO, some guy of romantic interest, etc is very verbal about his feelings for you, as in constant words of affection, praise, he misses you, emails all the time etc..is there a cause for some alarm?

I would think the complete opposite would set off the "uh oh" alarm but is there even such a thing as being wary of too many words of affection?

Yikes. Never thought about that.

I would say that an abnormal amount of contact may not need to set off alarms necessarily but would show a very sickening neediness that is not very attractive in a person. If his qualities are otherwise acceptable to you, tell him to tone it down. If he doesn't, you will eventually get so nauseated with him you will drop him.

Constant endearments as you described eventually lose their significance and meaning. Have him get a basic psychology book and read the pages on intermittant reinforcement.

There are people who are verbal, others who are more visual, and still others who are kinethetic...who express themselves by actions and who respond to that more than other stimulus. Your guy just happens to be one of the verbal ones. In your dating of guys, if you pay attention you will soon figure out what type they are and you can use that in your favor if you like.

Regardless, this guy has a lot to learn about romance. I wonder if he's just imitating some crap he read in a fiction novel or something???

Then again, there are women out there who would die for a guy like this...who crave this kind of stuff. Maybe you need to introduce him to a gal like that. And perhaps one day after he's long gone...you will long to have him back in your life and give anything to have a guy just like he is now.

Life's a real bitch sometimes.

• Author

Thanks Tony for the great reply.

Yep he's pretty verbal all right. It's just kind of weird that before we really decided to get serious he was so wishy-washy and he "wasn't ready" and he "didn't know" so I had to basically give him a clear cut ultimatum cuz I wasn't gonna sit around and deal with this forever, and now that we are together he's overflowing with these affectionate words and I kind of get at a loss to how to respond...maybe I am just being ungrateful but the change just threw me off guard that's all.