Why must people judge you not for what you say but for what you do not say?

[edit]

If someone is quiet why do people automatically judge that person as being bad? Even if the person is really not.

YOU ASK: "Why must people judge you not for what you say but for what you do not say?

I don't think this happens very often. Decent, mature people don't make judgements at all. Mediocre and average people make judgements based on what they actually see and hear, not what they don't hear. Nobody even cares what stupid people think.

2. "If someone is quiet why do people automatically judge that person as being bad? Even if the person is really not."

I have never known anyone who thought a quiet person was bad. This is a pretty weird observation. There are many people who feel that a quiet person is either shy, afraid of being rejected for stupid things they might say, or mute (not able to speak for physical or hereditary reasons).

Bill, where did you come up with this stuff, anyway?

People who can't handle silence usually have a low self-esteem. Maybe they let all of their thoughs known, and if you don't, they think you are keeping something from them, and therefore, don't trust them, or have an evil intention of hurting them. Its that wonder of what you AREN'T saying that is driving them crazy. Its not that silence is BAD, its just that they are not getting enough from what you ARE saying....for their own self assurance.

That's what I think...

Ally :)

• Author

Tony,

This stuff comes from my day-to-day encounters with people.

Because someone says I'm quiet, they said basically that because I'm quiet that I should be the one that people worry about. Like as if I am bad or something for being quiet.

Ally, I think you are right, but some people take that to the extreme, as in they automatically label quiet as bad.

YOU WROTE: "Because someone says I'm quiet, they said basically that because I'm quiet that I should be the one that people worry about. Like as if I am bad or something for being quiet."

If some people think you should be the one people worry about because you're quiet, I think they have serious psychological problems or something to hide. You should be very happy to stay away from those people.

Many people, particularly those who like to do all the talking, are extremely attracted to quiet people.

Accept yourself, love yourself just like you are, and to hell with what other people think. To thine own self be true.

questionaire

i'm a very quiet person too. I have to admit that being quiet can make people think that you hide people or don't trust them

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU HAVE MY FRIEND

talking too much can cause a lot of problems too. I know a lady who talks too much gives her son a lot of problem

being quiet is very good too. why ?

1-if a person see you quiet, they intend to tell you more important things than a talkative person why? because they believe that you will keep their secret

2-it's a good idea for not talking with somebody whom you dont know.

3-you are quiet because you like to observe or listen what other people say or do

NOBODY TELLS YOU STUPID WHEN YOU DON'T SAY ANYTHING.

do not feel bad when you are quiet

You can't make everybody happy. It is not really important what other think about you.

if you are worried about what other think of you, you defeat the purpose of living.

BE YOURSELF and you will be alright.

A quote from "The Wizard of Oz" when Dorothy meets the Scarecrow, who wanted a brain, standing in a field:

Dorothy: "You say you want a brain. But how can you talk if you don't have a brain?"

Scarecrow: "Well, Dorothy, a lot of people without brains do an awful lot of talking."

Dorothy: "You've got a point there!"

• 2 weeks later...

I am a very quiet person and b/f takes it as me always being mad, upset or depressed. When in reality, there is nothing wrong at all. I'm just quiet.

People have preconceived notions that people are supposed to act a certain way. Most of the time, they're wrong. You really have to learn to accept a person for whom and what they are. As humans, it's not an easy task.