I want to make new friends BUT social anxiety!

my body is a cage

I just started my sophomore year at college. I have a number of friends here, but I have grown tired of them... I really want to meet new people!

I live in community based living this year, and there are a bunch of Sophomores and Freshmen on my hall that I would like to be friends with. The problem is, I'm really shy! People tell me that I'm intimidating at first, and also that people generally think I seem interesting/cool and would like to get to know me, but I have this sort of illogical social anxiety that makes me feel convinced that anyone I want to be friends with is not going to want to be friends with me if they get to know me (even when I've heard that they do want to be friends with me.)

Sometimes I hear people hanging out on my hall without me and it really upsets me because I want to be a part of it so badly, and I want to get to know these people. I'm wayy too shy to knock on their door or anything, and I say hi to a bunch of these people and they would be perfectly capable of knocking on my door and inviting me to these festivities themselves, you know?

Basically, my question is, does anyone have any advice about how to overcome this illogical fear? And also, any advice on what to talk to people I don't know very well about?

I can relate to your problems to an extent but I have a question: What is it that makes you so bored of your other friends exactly and what makes this group more interesting?

Remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

My advice would be that if they get together for a group activity, introduce yourself and join in if they let you. If they don't let you join in, **** them, you probably wouldn't want them as friends anyway.

I can relate thats why I created an alter ego and wore an alter ego costume that they didnt recognize me in. Knock on there doors, do it, or when you hear them in the hall just go out there and start talking to them and be like you guys are coo... throw some compliments out... this was fun we need to do this again...... GOOOOOOOOO DOOOOOOOOO ITTTT UR THE MANNNNNNNNNN OR WOMMMMMMAN SINCE I M NOT SURE.......yeahlejakfhaifhjkdjfjdflj