Sharing a house with a "noisy" couple?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else had found themselves in this position, as was hoping someone could advise me!

My husband and I got married last year, and we currently share a house with four other people (we are hoping to get our own place in the summer).

Knowing that it could make the others in the house uncomfortable we try to plan our lovemaking when the other are out, or go to a hotel etc as we know the walls are paper-thin

Now one of our flatmates has a boyfriend and there has never been any problems, but now one of the others ("X") has a new girlfriend, and they insist on making love late at night when the house is full and everyone is trying to get to sleep.

X spoke with my husband asking him where the hammer and stuff was to fix a floorboard, because another flatmate had told him that we could hear EVERYTHING. From what my husband said it sounded like X was basically proud and hoping he was making us all jealous(we'ew a newly wed couple, we couldn't be happier) and not concerned that he was behaving in an inconsiderate manner, which to me is immature. I am sure my husband and i, and our other flatmate who is in a relationship, have a healthy sex life, but we are all considerate of others in the house, who don't really want to hear.

Since then not a lot has changed about the noise apart from we are all tired from a lack of sleep, and now it is starting to affect our sex life as it is such a turn off.

Does anyone have any tips what to do? My friend suggested giving them a round of applause every time they finish until they realise how ludicrous and unpleasant an experience it is for everyone else!

mental_traveller

You share a house, you're in the same situation as all sharers who don't like some aspect of the behaviour of another person there. Your options are i) ask them nicely to stop making noise, and hope they comply (unlikely) ii) throw a huge tantrum about it, be a total bastard (i.e. walk in on them as they do it, throw water/wet blanket on them and scream & shout your head off), so they comply just to stop you yelling and screaming in their face 24/7 - can work but will cause a tense atmosphere iii) move out iv) somehow get them to move out.

Noise-canceling headphones are what you need. Those things work so well you wouldn't even hear something as loud as a smoke alarm or someone knocking loudly on your door screaming "FIRE!". You'll be able to get a good night's sleep no matter what is going on in the rest of the house.

Check out the ones made by Bose.