My ex has informed me he's going for a prostate exam.

He's been told he has a 13% chance of having Prostate Cancer.

We had our problems but I certainly don't wish him any ill will.

Can someone tell me what his prospects could be?

Is 13% low?

I know he may have huge problems with depression that can accompany this.

I want to find the right words to say to him, and let him know he needs to think positive.

How old is he? It's my understanding that after a certain age, prostate exams are fairly standard - like a mammogram. One in four women will develop breast cancer in their life time (I think that's the statistic), so a 13% chance is nothing compared to what us chicks have to deal with.

pelagicsands
Is 13% low?

13 chances in 100 sounds pretty low. I guess prostate cancer is the most common cancer for guys, and in many cases it is something one can live with. But I'm no expert, sorry.

That percentage does seem like a lot of guesswork. I would try not to worry, and do my best to take his mind off it until the results come back.

Come to think of it, I would be pretty impressed if 13% of people who were asked to touch my genitals actually went ahead and embraced the experience. So 13% is low for some things, and high for other things. It's all relative.

• Author

He's 55 same age as me. He was adopted and knows no family history. This is his first health complication

He's 55

It's most likely not his first exam..

I got my first at 35 and it is standard by age 40..

As a guy we all have to live with our prostate growing.. just like women have to worry about BC..

I hope he isn't using this to create sympathy on your part..

Do some research on prostate cancer.. it is the slowest growing cancer out there and almost all men are going to have an enlarged prostate that will need treatment in some fashion or another..

If he needs treatment they have made leaps and bounds with the removal of the prostate and have the ability today to remove it and separate the nerve that affects the erection.. so the chances of him being able to/keep having sex are getting higher and higher every year..

This is his first health complication

You just mentioned complication... in your OP you mentioned that he was going for an exam..

ALL men get exams..and many have an enlarged prostate..

Has he been diagnosed with cancer ?

I have had a couple prostrate. I'll just say that are not as bad as getting a colon rectal exams.

In either case I felt so, so shamed so cheap and used and violated. ... and that was just by my insurance company. Wait untill you here what the Dr did to me!