My wife and I have been happily married for over 25 years and have known this couple, let's say John and Sue, for many years now. It now looks like that relationship may be coming to an end. In fact, I worked with Sue for some years in the past and a nicer woman you couldn't meet.

In an unfortunate set of circumstances, after a failed business venture and being diagnosed with stomach cancer John went off the rails a little. The strain placed enormous pressure on their relationship to the point of separation. Being sympathetic towards John we didn't hesitate to invite him in when he needed someone to talk through his problems.

However, he turned up on an increasingly regular basis. More of a concern was that he turned up at our home when I was at work. He was also arriving around the times my wife was either leaving or returning from her gym/aerobics sessions. Granted she is an attractive woman and looks great in tight lycra, but the timing was a little too coincidental. Although this seemed quite innocent at first, it has taken my wife some weeks now to tell me that she has had to make excuses or give false reasons when regularly asked by John to go out for a drink or a movie.

My wife is worried about hurting his feelings but also is concerned about him attempting to come between us. I offered to fix the situation once and for all but that was purely male testosterone talking.

Should I leave this go and respectfully let my wife deal with him in her own way knowing that nothing could come between us or barge in with 'all guns blazing' and put an end to this one sided infatuation?