Can she press charges?

ok this one may seem a little weird but here goes.

A couple of months back my sister in laws husband found an old friend online and started talking to her, gradually the talks became more frequent up to the point they were on the phone for several hours at a time. It got to the point where the girl he was talking to decided to take a trip up to see him. my SIL was upset and asked him not to go but he went anyway, he actually disappeared with this girl for 5 days. Now he has come back and my SIL wants a divorce. They have 3 children together and this little tramp has ruined their marriage. What i wanted to know is if she can sue this woman for being a homewrecker? if anyone knows of any precedents please let me know.

I think it depends on what state you live in and if alienation of affection is used. Alienation of affection is hard to prove sometimes. She might try looking it up online under her state's divorce laws and ground.

There is no lawsuit here. Nobody put a gun to this guy's head. The lawsuit will be against her husband and this should be an affair he pays for dearly for the rest of his days.

What i wanted to know is if she can sue this woman for being a homewrecker?

maybe 30 or 40 years ago...but not today.

What i wanted to know is if she can sue this woman for being a homewrecker?

The defendant should be the husband in a divorce lawsuit not the OW..

The OW most likely was fed a line of BS 3 miles long so she would go with him..

So the chances are she is also a victim..

There are no legal legs that I know of for your SIL except in divorce court

I think it is a valid case and has been tried successfully in certain states. I am sure it is on a stat by state basis and if I had to guess, I would say the southern states probably are more apt to have the law on the books.

Of course there are certain things that probably need to be proven--she must know that he was married, she willingly went into the relationship.

But, I have also heard where a a hubby has sued his wife for divorce (even though he cheated) for loss of affection. So, if you have put him on hold, there may indeed be another wrench into the works.

To be honest, the simpler the divorce the better. He cheated, divorce him, and let it go. Move on.

A little googling turned up what Justice had mentioned

"if you live in a state that recognizes "alienation of affection", you can sue the other person, but you have to PROVE that they were responsible for breaking the loving bond between you and your spouse."

quoted from the divorce support forum on about . com

But why spend 60k making an attorney rich over this when it would be better for all party's to move on