"Be carful what you wish for, you might get it" How true is this proverb?

Rifka

I strongly believe in being very careful in what I wish for because this proverb has turned out true for me. For example, I wanted a certain boyfriend who I couldn't have at the time, but when I got him I didn't want him anymore.

Do you think this is true for others?

If you WANT someone really badly, you can get them? For me this has proven frightening because all my wishes have come true, but they were always dark consquences and things I never imagined afterwards. Am I just "different" (freaky) or can most women get what they want if they really try?

My shrink who is a feminist told me that woman are usually better at doing this than men, and that if a woman really tries to "get" a man her chances are better than a man in the same position.

What are your thoughts on this?

I too strongly believe in that proverb, and not only in love. A person my wish for a good job at a refinery and end up getting cancer from the chemicals there. There are stories and fables from long ago about this proverb.

I strongly believe in being very careful in what I wish for because this proverb has turned out true for me. For example, I wanted a certain boyfriend who I couldn't have at the time, but when I got him I didn't want him anymore. Do you think this is true for others? If you WANT someone really badly, you can get them? For me this has proven frightening because all my wishes have come true, but they were always dark consquences and things I never imagined afterwards. Am I just "different" (freaky) or can most women get what they want if they really try?

My shrink who is a feminist told me that woman are usually better at doing this than men, and that if a woman really tries to "get" a man her chances are better than a man in the same position. What are your thoughts on this?

I think it is human nature to attach more of a thrill to wanting something than to actually having it. That's why so many times, after I have finally told the man I love him, the relationship declines in some way. It's like wanting a new ring, dreaming about it, saving for it, picturing how happy you will be when you get it. Once you have it, you may admire it for a while, but then it is just one more piece of jewelry and it's on to the next desire. That is why people cheat on each other too. They already have met the challenge of attracting and keeping a mate and there is no challenge left, so they seek new yearnings to keep the blood churning.

I too strongly believe in that proverb, and not only in love. A person my wish for a good job at a refinery and end up getting cancer from the chemicals there. There are stories and fables from long ago about this proverb.
It depends on what you wish for:

If you wish for faith, true love, fidelity, love with a wonderful person, it's good that you wished for.

If your wishes are based in insecurities, fears, vain or base desires...that's reason for concern.

I just don't think you can generalize here...it's such abroad question.

I was very impressed that all your wishes come true. I always tell people on the forum that people's minds and thoughts are extremely powerful and you have shown some examples. We manifest our reality by the way we think.

Now, one favor. If you could wish for me to win the Florida Lottery this Saturday, I promise I will buy new tires for your car. Deal?

Could you please wish that people who post in the forum would learn how to post with nice, reasonably sized, coherent paragraphs rather than clumping their whole problem into a mile long glob of type that gives me a headache to read???

Rifka,

I do believe that proverb- we have all seen it happen time and time again. I think it goes hand in hand with "the grass isn't always greener on the other side"- the thrill is in the chase- whatever that may be.

BUT, how about this- anything that requires TOO much effort is probably not meant to be. Not to say that to attain good things you don't have to be focused and work hard- but more about fate. I fully believe that if something is meant to be-it will be. Or at least the road to it will be clear and come with few obsticles.

About women being able to achieve their goals better than men.... probably true. But why? Maybe because women are more willing to compromise their integrity to attain the prize. But also because women have a better understanding ( a lot of times) about how people work- what makes them tick, where people's buttons are and how to push them. We are observant and good planners and organizers. We have the ability to look ahead to possible consequences -good and bad- so that we can devise the best plan to reach our goal.

And lastly, it might appear that women have the advantage when it comes to getting what they want- but this may be somewhat deceiving. I think that women know what is attainable and what is not- when a women sets out to reach a goal-she already has a fairly good idea that she can do it-therefore appearing to have really accomplished something when the task is done. If a woman feels that she can not accomplish a task-due to lack of training, experience, skill, appearance, attitude, confidence etc... she may opt to not try- and therefore she never projects the appearance of failure.

Good question- it made me think! Jenna

I strongly believe in being very careful in what I wish for because this proverb has turned out true for me. For example, I wanted a certain boyfriend who I couldn't have at the time, but when I got him I didn't want him anymore. Do you think this is true for others? If you WANT someone really badly, you can get them? For me this has proven frightening because all my wishes have come true, but they were always dark consquences and things I never imagined afterwards. Am I just "different" (freaky) or can most women get what they want if they really try?

My shrink who is a feminist told me that woman are usually better at doing this than men, and that if a woman really tries to "get" a man her chances are better than a man in the same position. What are your thoughts on this?

"very" subtle Tony- hehehehehe, Jenna

Could you please wish that people who post in the forum would learn how to post with nice, reasonably sized, coherent paragraphs rather than clumping their whole problem into a mile long glob of type that gives me a headache to read???