growth

To grow together as a couple, yes. To grow and learn how couples interact and function, to learn what romantic love is all about, to learn not to be selfish, to learn how to communicate with someone you really love, to experience being loved and cared for in return, to learn compromise, forgiveness and so many aspects of life, being in a relationship will get you there very quickly.

You can also learn some of these things in a work or other civic or professional relationship but it's not the same. The relating is different.

We don't have to be in a relationship to grow as a person. Self actualization takes place much the same way a large Oak tree grows and branches out. No one directs it's course and the branches sprout in whatever direction. If it violates the laws of beauty or space, someone will prune it. That happens to people to.

Henry Miller wrote in Tropic of Capricorn: "Facts, there are no facts, there is only the fact man, every man everywhere in the world, is on his way to ordination. Some men take the short route and some take the long route. Every man is working out his destiny in his own way and all we can do to help is by being kind, generous and patient."

So no matter where you are in life, in or out of a relationship, in or out of work, rich or poor, sick or well, you are growing all the time.

Frankly, I think we often grow the most when a relationship ends, when a job terminates, when we are broke and down. There is far more room to grow upward when we are at the bottom, like a plant that is cut way back in order that it may gain even more thickness and strength for the future.

There is growth in every circumstance and in every situation we are presented.

Some people are most at peace when they not in a relationship while others are terrified if someone is not around. I think the ones that are terrified have their growth stunted and do not emerge as fully functional human beings.

When you ask brief questions, you get long-winded answers. I hope I have given you some insight and I pray others will do so as well.

billy the kid

yes and no: as randy(tony) SAID it all depends on what you mean by growth.. spiritual? sexual? personal? what ever all it is it takes time... and I mean time to your self... you already have the answers.. just shut down and listen.. it will take time but the answers will come, many of them. some right and some wrong, but in your mind you will know which is which. right or wrong.

To grow together as a couple, yes. To grow and learn how couples interact and function, to learn what romantic love is all about, to learn not to be selfish, to learn how to communicate with someone you really love, to experience being loved and cared for in return, to learn compromise, forgiveness and so many aspects of life, being in a relationship will get you there very quickly.

You can also learn some of these things in a work or other civic or professional relationship but it's not the same. The relating is different.

We don't have to be in a relationship to grow as a person. Self actualization takes place much the same way a large Oak tree grows and branches out. No one directs it's course and the branches sprout in whatever direction. If it violates the laws of beauty or space, someone will prune it. That happens to people to. Henry Miller wrote in Tropic of Capricorn: "Facts, there are no facts, there is only the fact man, every man everywhere in the world, is on his way to ordination. Some men take the short route and some take the long route. Every man is working out his destiny in his own way and all we can do to help is by being kind, generous and patient." So no matter where you are in life, in or out of a relationship, in or out of work, rich or poor, sick or well, you are growing all the time. Frankly, I think we often grow the most when a relationship ends, when a job terminates, when we are broke and down. There is far more room to grow upward when we are at the bottom, like a plant that is cut way back in order that it may gain even more thickness and strength for the future. There is growth in every circumstance and in every situation we are presented. Some people are most at peace when they not in a relationship while others are terrified if someone is not around. I think the ones that are terrified have their growth stunted and do not emerge as fully functional human beings. When you ask brief questions, you get long-winded answers. I hope I have given you some insight and I pray others will do so as well.

I believe a good relationship is one of many ways that encourages growth but no, I don't believe a dating relationship is essential to having growth.

Growth just requires a willingness to change and a little boldness to face things as they are. Relationships of all kinds: family, spiritual, friendships, mentors, etc. are just encouragements in that growth.

What brings up the question?

do you believe you need to be in a relationship to grow?

nope.a relationship may bring growth to a person's character but it is not needed to grow. i feel that growth comes from learning from one's own mistakes.you can take advice from others and draw conclusions from others' mistakes, but i feel that to really understand one must experience thigs first hand and realize wrongs and rights..from there growth will progress.

i hope i'm not sounding too philosophical....and that i was able to help.

terasa: you asked what brings this up: well i feel stuck in this relationship of almost two years now. i feel that i am growing and he has no clue what is going on inside me nor does he agree with my psychological babble he say's i am picking up on the internet, and it is corrupting me. i feel so stuck in a rut with my life and the "rules" of my life that i live by and want to be free. i am doing what jung called journeying or something like that, i forget the exact wording. but that is why i ask, i feel like i learn more in a relationship then out of one, cause i can work on myself and learn more, but at the same time it is stressing me out. i feel trapped cause i love him yet i feel like i'm choking cause i want out, yet i don't want to leave him either. i don't know what to do. thank you for asking;

no name please

believe a good relationship is one of many

ways that encourages growth but no, I don't believe a dating relationship is essential to having growth.

Growth just requires a willingness to change and a little boldness to face things as they are. Relationships of all kinds: family, spiritual, friendships, mentors, etc. are just encouragements in that growth. What brings up the question?