Suffering from depression

Delenn

How do I tell some one I am casualy dating(Im not seeing anyone now) that I suffer from sevier depression and mild agoraphobia???????? I know from past experences that I pretty much have to disclose it up front. Otherwise the person they are getting to know is just an act, not the real me. How to I tell someone this without scaring them away??????

Delenn

I dont want to scare anyone, but it is who I am. I am pretending to be another person around people who dont know and I have to lie about everything. Depression is not comparable to AIDS (how could you saw something so stupid and ignorent).

Delenn

How do I tell some one I am casualy dating(Im not seeing anyone now) that I suffer from sevier depression and mild agoraphobia???????? I know from past experences that I pretty much have to disclose it up front. Otherwise the person they are getting to know is just an act, not the real me. How to I tell someone this without scaring them away?????? Delenn

Delenn:

If it's just casualy dating....you don't tell them. Unless of course you've been dating this person for quite sometime and they have gotten to know you and you know they won't pass judgement on you. It's also based on your comfort level with the individual.

Delenn, we all have secrets. We don't disclose any information about ourselves to just anyone. There are somethings you tell people about yourself and then there are things that no one will ever know about you......it's not lying.

If you are not able to be "yourself" around this individual, then it not a good idea to disclose this information.

Anyway.....why do you think depression prohibites you from being the real you? It doesn't if you're being treated.

If you are being treated, no one will know other wise......until you tell them.

Depression, Aids, Cancer, addiction..........it doesn't matter what we have.........we all need love.

If you are just starting to date someone, only pick situations that make you feel comfortable. If they ask you why (or why not) you want to go a certain place or do a certain thing, clue them in slightly to your problems without giving them your life story. Consider who the "real" you is. Are you someone that is suffering from something that alters you (like depression)? Or are you only a depressed person? I know this sounds easier than it is, but try to bring back the real you when you're with someone new. Depression definitely changes your life, but how you come out of it is up to you. You can let them know you have problems with things without freaking them out. We've all had times when something scares us or we can't believe in ourselves, if they don't understand or at least accept you, they aren't worth your time. I hope this is somehow helpful.

Take care,

Odyne