Psychiatrist said something disturbing...

In group therapy there was a guy telling us about a conflict he had being really attracted to a woman that was difficult and dating a more "boring" sensible woman who he was less attracted to. The psychiatrist then made a comment that disturbed me. He said, "the people we are most sexually attracted to make the worst parteners." I asked him if there were exceptions and he said "no."

Do you believe this? If this is true it sounds really depressing and is enough to put me in a bad mood.

For the psychiatrist to make such a blanket generalization as he did, he ought to lose his medical license. Next time in group, let him know that this statement, which is absolutely false, has caused you to lose confidence in him. Let him spend some time defending what he said. Let him show you research. Let him show you proof. Let him know you want to see just how the research was performed and how such a conclusion can be drawn. Make his butt sweat.

While the statement may be very true in some instances, it certainly is not the rule. There is simply no way of researching this type of issue anyway because it is so general, vague and subjective.

Your shrink needs a shrink!!!

For the psychiatrist to make such a blanket generalization as he did, he ought to lose his medical license. Next time in group, let him know that this statement, which is absolutely false, has caused you to lose confidence in him. Let him spend some time defending what he said. Let him show you research. Let him show you proof. Let him know you want to see just how the research was performed and how such a conclusion can be drawn. Make his butt sweat. While the statement may be very true in some instances, it certainly is not the rule. There is simply no way of researching this type of issue anyway because it is so general, vague and subjective.

Your shrink needs a shrink!!! don't listen to her dude! maybe she just misunderstood your statements!!!!!

This pshychiatrist doesn't sound very educated nor very professional. No one has any right judging anyone by making such a generalized statement. I wouldn't let it put you in a bad mood. Discovering whether someone is a good partner takes time. Attraction is just part of the scenario. Please don't be as close-minded and biased as this therapist and "eliminate" someone because of generalizations! In group therapy there was a guy telling us about a conflict he had being really attracted to a woman that was difficult and dating a more "boring" sensible woman who he was less attracted to. The psychiatrist then made a comment that disturbed me. He said, "the people we are most sexually attracted to make the worst parteners." I asked him if there were exceptions and he said "no." Do you believe this? If this is true it sounds really depressing and is enough to put me in a bad mood.