I am being layoff

Unemploy

I'm 33 yrs old, used to work in an US investment bank as an research anaylst and was making $80000 a month. I have been layoff this Monday due to down turn of business. The firm has paid me 6 months salary as compensation. I've some savings and together with this lump sum I may be able to support my family for a while but not for long term. Fortunately my wife is working and we don't have children yet. I am just so worry about my future. I am a typical Japan middle class that has suffered lots during the currency crisis. My flat is now a deep out-of- the money negative asset. Just wanna share this experience with anybody.

Six months pay at $80000 per month is $480000. That's as much as many people make in ten years or more. I don't feel sorry for you.

People who make a lot of money should put some away for times like this. This is a learning experience for you.

I always thought Japanese people were excellent money savers but either I was wrong or you are an exception.

If you work hard, you will find another job. If you have six months of pay to live on, just spend it wisely and you should have absolutely no problem.

A lot of people who lose their jobs get no extra pay and have no savings...and also don't have a wife who works. I'd say you've got it pretty damned good, my friend!!!