I'm 18, she's 17...her parents hate me!

David Gevert

David Gevert

Okay guys, here's my question. I currently don't drive (it'll be about three months before I can get my license, too :( ) but she does. However, her parents (or rather, her mom) don't like me. She told me tonight over the phone that her mom wants her to break up with me, but she isn't breaking up with me.

The problem is this: I'm an atheist, and she and her parents are Christians. The fact that they're Christians does not bother me, but the fact that I'm an atheist does bother her parents. I've graduated from high school, but she has not, and the high school is a special case; its students actually come from across the state to one town and live at school (like college), so she does not live in my home town. However, her mom is using the excuse of not wanting her daughter driving long distances to prevent her from seeing me very often.

We talk on the phone every night; honestly, that phone call is the highlight of my day. But I want to see her, too! Three months is a long time to wait. :(

I don't want to drive a wedge between her and her parents...or drive the wedge further (she told me once that I am the only person she loves! She doesn't even love her parents any more...) I don't want to be the wall between them. But I love her...I just can't get this out of my head though! Part of me feels as if I'm obligated to break up with her so as to not cause trouble...but...I know that even if I do, there will be trouble between her and her family, and I can't fix it.

She's said that her parents have traditionally never liked their other daughter's boyfriends or son's girlfriends. Maybe my atheism is just an excuse, but damn it, they're being jackasses! I've met them, I've put my best foot forward (I think)...I just don't know what else I can do. I know I can't make them like me...apparently not even seeing their own daughter happy is enough for them. I just...I don't know what to do. Advice?

Bro!!! Let me tell you how much I can relate to that!!! I was in that same situation with a woman who lives in Texas, and I live in Florida. Really, there is not much that you can do. Just show her parents that you are going to treat her with respect and try to make her happy...if they can't like that about you, then just leave it up to your girlfriend. I was 18 and my girlfriend in Texas was 17 just like you and your girlfriend. I don't mean to bring you down, but honestly it did last a year. But her mom was the reason that I am not with her right now! You just have to be the best guy that you can be and if it doesn't work out...it doesn't work out. No offense, I mean I realize you love her, but there are plenty of them out there and you are still young! Hell, so am I. Well, I hope that I made at least some sense. Just go with the flow and if things don't work out, they just don't work out. Keep in mind that you can't please everybody and if her parents aren't pleased with you then so be it. But if she loves you and you love her. Then be patient because maybe in the future, when she moves out or graduates, you can see more of each other.