Parenting:Can my husband take my daughter out of the country with out my consent?

I am really scared(worried)-I have a great fear that my husband might try to take my daughter out of Canada and into a foreign country where is was born and raised and his family lives(Turkey). He is a Turkish Canadian. our marriage has really been going through the ringer lately, and this is what is bringing on this great fear. Also his family calls almost every day, I don't know what is up as I don't understand one word of turkish.All my husband says is that his family is sending a ticket for him to go home for a visit...........They have never ever acknowledged me. What are his rights in taking her from Canada? Her last name is still under my maiden name, I don't know if this helps. what steps can I take to make sure that he never is allowed to leave canada? I would really appreciate suggestions on the urgent matter at hand please and thank you all for hearing me out:)

Pink Amulet

It depends on where he takes her. For example, when I travelled through South America with my father I needed a signed consent form from my mother with me at all airports.

Call the Turkish embassy in your area. They will be able to give you this information.

It wouldn't be up to Turkey to decide. The issue would be removing the child from Canada. Here's the Foreign Affairs department site on travelling with children.

magichands

I think you really need to talk to someone about this. (Apart from us amateurs, I mean.) Is there a helpline (in the phone book, maybe) that you can call?

I really feel for you. Please try and remain calm.

Pink Amulet

Well, I am not sure about Canada and the US but in Australia the issue would not be removing the child from the country, it is always the arrival in another country. No consent is neccesary to leave the country with your own child as long as you have proof they are your own.

magichands

Maybe search for Legal Aid in your province? Perhaps they have a helpline you can call?

No consent is neccesary to leave the country with your own child.

That's surprising. Canada 'strongly suggests' that people obtain notarized consent letters from the other parent if they plan to travel alone with the child precisely because of all the parental abductions.

I should think that there is a process for alerting both Foreign Affairs and the RCMP if you think a man is likely to leave with his child. For starters, the child has to be documented with a passport and both parents need to sign the form so if she doesn't have one and isn't listed on his, there's that hurdle to go through first.

• Author

I am so relieved to hear that, however I think I should ask the RCMP what I can do to be on the safe side, also any other suggestions would be comforting, thanks again.

In my U.S. passport, they have some information on this as well as a phone number and a website, but I doubt the U.S. State Dept. can help Canadians.

Open your Canadian passport and see what it says in there.

• Author

I don't have a passport so I would not know? I don't know what to do?? Clueless:(

Brenda, read the link I gave you. There's all sorts of information there including contact numbers.

Brenda, this issue is so serious you MUST get qualified legal advice! Try Legal Aid if you cannot afford a regular lawyer.

FredTravels

In the US, they do require notarized consent BEFORE travel to certain countries that are known for white slavery and child trafficking and child sex trafficking.

If your daughter does not have a passport, or visa she is not getting into Turkey very easily. It might be easier if SHE is a Turkish citizen.

I am not sure of the regulations regarding the obtaining of a passport in Canada, but now in the US, both parents must present themselves in person and approve the issuance of a passport to a child under 16. In addition, the child must appear in person as well. Absent one parent, there needs to be a notarized consent form from the absent parent to issue the passport, a death certificate for a deceased parent, or a court order showing sole and primary custody for disappeared dads.

But, consulting with an attorney is also great advise

• Author

yes I am going to have to check out going to a legal aid lawyer to check this out however I don't know how I am going to go about it or even if they are willing to take on such a case,.............Never hurts to try.

Please, please I am desperate I emailed the foreign affairs and am waiting to hear back from them...............

• Author

You have all given me good advice, now I have to put it all into action. I talked to my daughter last night and told her she is not to go anywhere byherself with her father as I have a great fear that my beloved daughter would be taken from me forever:(

She agreed that if he wants to take her by himself she said she is going to say I want mom to come too. This is an agreement that me and her understand quit clearly..............

It works in your favor that they have a different last name.

Try these links, with varying degrees of relevancy:

And I think the best advice is to consult a proffessional. It's worth the money, right?

• Author

Asolutely, it is worth every penny, the sad thing is I don't have anymoney, he does, I don't have a mom or dad as they died when i was young I don't have any resources at all what can I do, hopefull the legal aid department can help me out?

• Author

I left a message with the authorities and told them my situation and they said tomorrow they will have someone call me and help me out with more information, I am just so scared I don't know what I would do without my daughter:(

she is all I have and frankly she is my miracle baby as I was told that if I try to have anymore babies it could be life threatening to me and my unborn child...............Now just to sit and wait paitently, I can't say how happy I am to have found a site with alot of great people that care such as yourselves what an awsome community.

Try not to panic. Nothing has happened yet and authorities are well aware of the kind of situation you are in. I'm getting the sense that you're working yourself up over this. He can't take her anywhere that quickly - if nothing else it takes time to get a passport, and he can't get one without you. So take it easy and take the time you need to get the information you need.

The slayer

Brenda honey, I've read all your threads and I think the last thing you should be doing, is sitting there patiently. Please just get yourself, your daughter your pets away from your abusive husband, this is much more of an urgent issue right now. One of the posters on your other thread sent you some really good links for shelters in your area, please just take some action.

It's not a question of 'sitting patiently' but of making sure all her ducks are in a row before she goes. She needs to be sure she has all the documents she needs, etc. etc. The safety plans spell it all out.

• Author

I have an appointment with child find on Friday, and they are going to start the paper work in case she is to get abducted, a little relieved now and they said that they will have more information for me at the appointment........Now I sit and wait patiently, has anyone else been through this?? Please tell me how you dealt with it? Cause I am having a very hard time taking this all in that there can be a chance that he would take her from me forever and I would never see her again:(

I found some great info for you, from The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC). Their idea is to PREVENT the abduction.

International-Abduction Prevention Tips

Here's a sample of their info:

Common “Red Flags”

According to the American Bar Association, the chances of an international

abduction may increase when a parent has:

*previously abducted the child or threatened to do so

*no strong ties to the child’s home state

*friends or family living abroad

*a strong support network

*no job, can earn a living almost anywhere, or is financially independent

*recently quit a job, sold a home or terminated a lease, closed a bank account or liquidated other assets

*a history of marital instability or a lack of parental cooperation

*a prior criminal record

Also, from The Missing Children Society of Canada (MCSC):

I'm glad you're getting access to help.