new family...

Buttaflyy

My boyfriend and I have been together for a little over a year. We hit it off from the start and have been living together for half of our relationship, and plan to get married. We have plenty in common; our birthdays are a day apart from one another, our mothers have the same first name, and we both have 11 year old daughters (from previous relationships of course) who are a week apart.

My daughter lives with us and his daughter will be visiting for the summer. She lives out of or state with her mother. My concern is that while we have so much in common, our parenting views are very different. He works long hours and the parenting responsibilities will fall soley on me. When it comes to his daughter he is very (over) protective. He has alot to say about certain things that my daughter is allowed to do (or not do) and I believe there will be conflict between us when his daughter is involved. I feel that since most of her time will be spent with me, I shouldn't first need permission from him concerning all issues.

To top things off, his ex wife who is now pregnant, called him and said that she wants their daughter to stay with us until high school.

I don't know how to feel about it all. Initially, I felt like it was 'more than I signed on for' but, I feel guilty for saying that. He accepted my daughter as his own from the beginning. Shouldn't I feel the same way? Also, how can I assure that everyone feels attentive and keep conflict from arising between us?

Please help!

Sounds like you should talk to him about it. You have to both find a common ground when it comes to discipline and everyday life between you all and the children. Should be easy, you two sound like the perfect couple.;) good luck.