My irresponsible son!

My ten year old son scared the hell out of me tonight!

I couple hours ago, I dropped him off in front of his church so he could go hang out with his friend. His friend's dad is the pastor. There was a supper that he got invited to.

Well, hour and a half later, my son's bestfriend calls and asks if he could speak to my son.

:eek:

I said, "I dropped him off there earlier.. you mean, he's not there!"

I went into panic mode...drove all around my town looking for him. My mind flooding with 'serial killer thoughts'.

Found him!!

He was walking home all by himself. He told me he *forgot* about the church thing and he went over to a different buddies house. Wha! :confused:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!!

Let's just say.. my kid is sooooooooo grounded.

Is there a microchip that I can insert into my kid, so I will always know where he is? They really need to invent something like that.

If they have.. let me know where I can buy one!

They do but it is mostly used on animals as in pets.

I did suggest marking all kids, adults, and even seniors to ID them in a social studies class once.

• Author
They all do it sooner or later...

I have a story similar with my stepdaughter

Give him a cell phone and enable the GPS..

http://www.accutracking.com/

They have more tracking web pages that you can shake a stick at..

Thanks jerbear...thanks A_C!

GPS in a cell phone? That is too cool. Sounds like just what I need! I will check out that link.

He is grounded for two weeks!! The thoughts that go through your mind when your kid is missing are terrible! I am sure I will have nightmares tonight. :(

If you don't mind me asking.. what happened with your step_daughter?

We had a similar scare once with our soon to be 10 year old. When we drop him off anywhere now we either go in with him or wait before we drive off to make sure he goes in.

Glad he's ok. That is the scariest thing isn't it? Horrible. Hope he learns his lesson and never does that again.

She was just learning to ride her bike without training wheels and I gave her the routine about where she could ride.. You know up to that mailbox and no further that that mailbox kinda thing..

Well the pizza guy shows up and I pay him and go inside to grab some plates for her and I and by the time I came back she was gone..

I looked everywhere for 10 mins then decided to get in the car and asked a guy watering his lawn if he had seen her.. he pointed that way.,..

She was about 1/4 of a mile 3 streets over playing in some kids garage I have never seen before..

The whole time all I could think was what am I going to tell her Mom. hey guess what I lost your daughter today..

I grounded her for 4 weeks and it only lasted 3 before I gave in..

they have no clue that they are pulling something so terrible.. and they normally only do it once

• Author
She was just learning to ride her bike without training wheels and I gave her the routine about where she could ride.. You know up to that mailbox and no further that that mailbox kinda thing..

Well the pizza guy shows up and I pay him and go inside to grab some plates for her and I and by the time I came back she was gone..

I looked everywhere for 10 mins then decided to get in the car and asked a guy watering his lawn if he had seen her.. he pointed that way.,..

She was about 1/4 of a mile 3 streets over playing in some kids garage I have never seen before..

The whole time all I could think was what am I going to tell her Mom. hey guess what I lost your daughter today..

I grounded her for 4 weeks and it only lasted 3 before I gave in..

they have no clue that they are pulling something so terrible.. and they normally only do it once

Oh my gosh! I bet that gave you a couple gray hairs, A_C. You're such a softy..giving in after only three weeks. ;) It's hard sticking to your guns. I know the feeling.

The problem has been that he was raised to be an independent latch-key kid. He doesn't have grandparent's, he doesn't have aunts & uncles. Just me, and I work 8-5 everyday.

But, that doesn't mean that what he did was ok by any means. He's done this before. That's the bad part. I can't help but think it's my fault.

``````````````````

Good advice Touche'! I should have walked in with him. If anything would have ever happened to him, I wouldn't have forgiven myself. :(

That's the bad part. I can't help but think it's my fault.

(

Nah..he is just being a kid and pushing his boundaries.. that is what growing up is..

All you can do it what your are doing.. grounding/explaining the whole responsibility angle..

• Author

Thanks, AC, for calming my nerves.

I am just tired of trying to compete with two-parent households. It's really tough! I get that overwhelmed feeling sometimes.

They all do it sooner or later...

I have a story similar with my stepdaughter

Give him a cell phone and enable the GPS..

http://www.accutracking.com/

They have more tracking web pages that you can shake a stick at..

AC , I'm purchasing 3 of these one for each of my boys .Thankyou for posting the link.

CastingPearls

luvtoto, I know how you feel. My son is 12 and probably sick to death of me harping on this subject. Once the school called and asked if he was out sick when I saw him get on the bus! Apparently they missed him during attendance. It was 6 minutes before they called back, the longest of my life. I live near Milwaukee and 2 boys recently disappeared without a trace, now it's been several weeks and their families have been enduring a nightmare without any relief. You can't be too careful. :( CP